JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Anyone knows if there is a way for me to check if GPS signal is locked on Galaxy watch 5?

(Topic created: 11-16-2022 08:11 PM)
user1E1p0b02Xx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I noticed my watch 5 is slow to lock GPS signal. Today, after I touch running icon, it took 10 minutes  for the GPS(location) icon to get stable(non-flash).

I want to make sure the GPS is locked before I start running. Anyone knows if there is a way for me to check if GPS signal is locked before I hit running icon? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@user1E1p0b02Xx Yes there is. Once you hit Choose workout on your watch, at the top of the screen is a green pin icon to the left of the word GPS. You have GPS lock when that is solid (not blinking). 

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
GIGGLES01
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch
If it doesn't work or no settings to fix or test it... There are apps u can use now and not need watch ... or maybe a new watch or fitbit. Good luck
0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy Watch

@user1E1p0b02Xx Yes there is. Once you hit Choose workout on your watch, at the top of the screen is a green pin icon to the left of the word GPS. You have GPS lock when that is solid (not blinking). 

0 Likes
user1E1p0b02Xx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks @LongHiker .  I found the GPS icon per your suggestion. I tried it in the last several days, but it took on average 7 minutes to lock the GPS(i.e. to make the GPS icon solid) after I went to workout->running screen. This is not acceptable performance, as I can't imagine it takes that long. My wife's Apple watch 5 takes several seconds at best to get solid GPS signal. My Samsung Watch 5 is just a month old. Is this a hardware failure? Anyone has the same issue? Samsung, please advise.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy Watch

@user1E1p0b02Xx That's unfortunate. The GPS lock on my GW5 Pro (or previous Samsung watches) typically takes a few seconds and never over 20-30 seconds. 

0 Likes
user1E1p0b02Xx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi  @LongHiker, do you have the latest software installed? Also, do you have your watch 5 pro connected to your phone when you said it takes several seconds to lock GPS on the watch? In my case, I always leave the phone at home and leverage the GPS sensor built inside the watch when I run outside( and it takes 8 minutes to lock GPS).  Thanks.

0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy Watch

@user1E1p0b02Xx Yes latest software installed. Yes have phone with me. 

0 Likes
user1E1p0b02Xx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks @LongHiker . I guess the reason you get GPS locked quickly is probably because your watch is relying on your phone to get GPS signal while in my case I totally leverage GPS built in the watch. I am going to give Samsung a call. Before I do that, would you confirm in your case your watch is connected to your phone via bluetooth all the time when you say it takes a couple of seconds to lock GPS? Just want to make sure I have accurate information when talking to Samsung support. Thanks again.

0 Likes