Original topic:

External heart rate monitor

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
Dnisus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello everyone,

I believe this has been suggested before, but it would be great if the Galaxy Watch OS supported external heart rate monitors. It's well known in fitness communities that chest monitors are more accurate than watch or ring monitors. I implore Samsung to add this functionality to Samsung Health and Galaxy Watches.

Thank you!

0 Likes
3 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
Samsung health already supports heart monitors under accessories.
0 Likes
Dnisus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My experience with this is Samsung Health will only record from the chest monitor if the Galaxy Watch is disconnected. If the watch is connected, it will only record from the watch monitor. Is there a way to record from the chest monitor from the watch? 

0 Likes
Josh-77
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

No. There is no way. Both Apple and Amazfit provide this functionality. Samsung has fallen behind. The Galaxy Watch range cannot be used as serious workout and fitness tools because they do not have the ability to accurately record heart rate. The accuracy of the optical sensor in the watch becomes wildly inaccurate above around 80 BPM falling well behind a Polar Pacer and H10 chest strap being used at the same time for comparison.

Also, even at lower BPM the Galaxy Watch optical sensor lags behind the Polar badly when HR is rising rapidly, taking considerable time to catch up. This is not good enough and is dangerous for anyone relying on the watch to accurate monitor BPM to stay below a certain level. Samsung could easily fix all of the above by providing the ability to use an external monitor, such as the Polar H10 chest strap and similar.

Samsung, please act on this. It isn't rocket science.