Original topic:

GW Ultra Step Counter Question(s)

(Topic created: 08-06-2024 02:34 PM)
Yatman
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
Is anyone else having problems with the step counter on the GW Ultra being totally inaccurate?

I've not worn my watch today and working from home in a 1 bedroom apartment. When I started the day it was showing 0 steps. I carried it from my bedroom to my work desk which is like 20 feet away and after just sitting on my desk (still not wearing it) it shows 97 steps!! Huh???

Also it's everyone else seeing it count steps as you drive and does anyone know how to disable that while you're driving?
0 Likes
5 Replies
G87M2
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
Do you have your phone on you as well? That too count steps unless you have pause the activity
0 Likes
Yatman
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
No I disabled it on my phone completely as well as auto activity detection.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@G87M2 You can have it enabled on both devices. Samsung Health is smart enough to know when steps are being duplicated and doesn't count them twice. 

0 Likes
G87M2
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know, which is why I asked in the way that I did. OP understood.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

It should not count steps while you are driving unless you have a habit of conducting music or gesturing while speaking with your watch hand.  Steps aren't really counted, arm movement is, which is why if you don't move your arm while walking (if you have a stroller or walker or some other reason your arm doesn't swing), your steps won't be counted. Keeping it activated on your phone makes it a more accurate count, since the phone goes by GPS (and possibly the movement of your hip) and the watch does not. The two counts merge into one for a more realistic step count.  If you are carrying the phone while wearing the watch, the phone step count is dominant.

0 Likes