Original topic:

Galaxy Watch Ultra will not send messages via WiFi

(Topic created: yesterday)
userErXW9BVklb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Symptom:  While connected to a WiFi connection (home) I am unable to send a text message using the (default) messaging app.

I am able to stream music, download apps, updates apps, use Google© maps.

As such, it appears to be app specific.  I found the app listed, but it contains no identifying "name"; like "Samsung".  I checked the permissions, cleared the data and cache, everything but a force stop.  The identifying icon is a white chat bubble with 3 blue dots (horizontally) through the middle of the bubble.  It's current version 10.0.00.73 with a size of 1.90 MB.

Error Message:  "Currently unable to send your message.  It will be sent when the service becomes..."
The rest of the message is cut off.

Question:  Am I missing some basic set up option to allow this feature?

Conditions:  I want to be able to send and receive text untethered from the phone (Bluetooth), but rather via WiFi.  Is this beyond the capabilities of this watch?

Extra:  I've been working for 3 days now to activate a "data plan" (paired) for this watch.  It seems as though compatibility is a problem.  I wanted to go "stand alone" and was able to select it as an option when I bought the watch, only to find out later it is not offered despite being an opinion.  Regardless, now the watch shows a data plan as being connected to the watch, but I cannot access data without being tethered to the phone.  If the data plan was working, could I expect the messaging to work without a WiFi or Bluetooth connection?

Is WiFi calling even possible?

Thank you in advance for any/all responses.

1 Reply
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

You cannot text over wi-fi on a watch.  Texting is part of your phone plan.  If you do not have an LTE watch you cannot text without being connected to a phone.  If you are connected to you phone via BT and your phone has wi-fi calling on you can text over wi-fi if your phone is on wi-fi.  If you are using the watch in standalone mode, there is no wi-fi calling/texting.  It goes through the cellular plan only.  Texting does not take place over data, it is integrated with your phone plan.  If you have unlimited text (as most plans offer these days), there is no reason to text over wi-fi anyway.

0 Likes