Original topic:

Galaxy watch ultra stops exercise

(Topic created: yesterday)
Dutch30114
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
So this happened twice now: I manually start a run. Phone is in my vehicle nearby. BT still connected. Start running. Half a mile in, I check my watch to see how I'm doing and notice I'm just seeing my normal watch face (no little green icon at bottom). I'm like **bleep**. Anyone else have a similar issue? Does the BT disconnect cause my watch to stop and delete the exercise I started manually? 
7 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Did you start your exercise from the phone or from the watch?  Is your watch LTE or BT only?  I think if you have a BT only watch and you start your exercise from the phone, once you lose BT connection it stops.  If you start it from the watch, the workout data stays in the watch and then syncs with the phone when you reconnect. If you started it from the watch, I can't see any reason for it to stop on its own at any point. 

If you have remote connection turned on in the wear app, you will need both your phone and watch connected to a network (either mobile or wi-fi).  If your watch is BT only, and you are out on a run, once you are out of BT range you lose connection, since it is unlikely you will be connected to a wi-fi network (public networks are not compatible with the watch).  If you have an LTE watch, you will keep the connection provided you have mobile data on both your phone and the watch.

It's always best to start the workouts from your watch. Then, connected or not, your workout will continue.  The other alternative is to carry the phone with you.  

It's puzzling, though, because regardless which watch you have (model or version), if you have auto detect workouts on, after 10 minutes of working out, the workout screen would come up and say something like "you've been running for 10 minutes, continue?"

0 Likes
Dutch30114
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I started the run manually and made sure it started. Not using LTE. BT is on. Automatic workout detection is turned off. AOD is turned off. I'm running again this Friday, so I'll run the same course again and keep my eyes peeled on the watch.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Started the run manually from the WATCH or the PHONE ?  If you don't have remote connection turned on and you are not using LTE and you started it from the phone, once you lose BT connectivity, you will lose the workout on the watch, as the phone will assume you stopped the workout.  It will not resume if you have auto detect workouts turned off. If auto detect was on, it may consider the segment after you lost connectivity to be a new workout or it may just continue.  It deliberately delays starting a workout automatically till after 10 minutes, to differentiate between running to catch a bus and taking a run.  AOD does not have to be turned on.

0 Likes
Dutch30114
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
Started manually on my watch
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well, that's a puzzle then.  There is absolutely no reason it should stop when out of BT range, as connectivity has nothing to do with it.  I swim daily, and I put my watch into airplane mode, leave my phone at home and set my workout from my watch.  It has never stopped recording.  I'm using the watch 4. I put it in airplane mode because neither wi-fi, BT, nor cell signals penetrate water, and looking for a network when there is none chews an awful lot of battery power.

Which watch is it? the new 7? I think they have not worked out all the bugs yet, from what I'm seeing. You should put in an error report.

0 Likes
Dutch30114
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's the new Ultra. I love the Samsung Health app over the Garmin I have been using prior and am pretty happy about the accuracy. Hopefully it's a bug that can be squashed. I am going to try again Friday and pay closer attention to the watch in my first mile. To be continued....
0 Likes
Dutch30114
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
These are the 2 runs I was referring to. I started both at the same location and the green line I drew was the track I missed out on before realizing the watch wasn't tracking... My car was parked at the start location where I left my phone. 1725384468956.jpgSmartSelect_20240903_132506_Strava_1000008301_1725384442.jpg
0 Likes