JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 09-21-2018 07:01 PM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
userFuiSxYyqn7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I did the test and now I am stuck there.  I cannot get out of the results.  Becoming so frustrated.

0 Likes
usercdoAp46dEI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

@SweetiePie1982 wrote:

Hello,

After returning my 2 Galaxy Watches, because of failing to register steps, not counting steps I decided to test the sensors on my 3rd watch which also doesn't count steps correctly. The way you can do it is if you go to your PHONE DİALER  on your watch you can enter *#0*# this will bring you to a screen where you can select sensors then scroll down to gyroscope and click on SELF. This should self test your sensor.  I tested it before and usually PASSED but I tried testing several times and it would PASS and then FAİL! So you might need to test it several times. 

So far no one at Samsung suggested doing that! 

The moral of the story.... This is not a software issue!!! This is a manufacturing and quality control issue! 

Isn't this testing your phone's gyroscope? Mine passes everytime, except for when I move my phone during the test. My watch is still not counting step accurately. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

İf you are doing it on your phone it will test your phone, but if you are doing on your watch it should test your watch.  Gyroscope helps with tracking steps, in short how I understand it, the accelerometer sensor detects one thing, gyro another so they complement each other. There is an algorithm that helps them to do it so I guess if it's off it can't track steps correctly. I tested my watch like 15 times and it PASSED half of the time and also FAILED half. Anyways, I am no scientist... If a sensor fails to me there is a hardware issue.

0 Likes
usercdoAp46dEI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

The test on my watch is still consistently passing. You are also given the option to graph as you move it around. That seems to trend properly. The sensor hypothesis might be true for some watches, but doesn't seem to hold true for mine. 

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

This is interesting.  Mine seems to graph correctly too.  So I just self tested and out 3 times it failed once and 2 times it passed. 

0 Likes
usercdoAp46dEI
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

On the failed times are you moving the watch? For the self test, it need to be still for an accurate test, at least based on the error message I get when moving my phone when I was testing it. 

0 Likes
usercHmvWe6GPx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Received my watch back from Samsung yesterday and they supposedly repaired it.  What a joke!!! Nothing was fixed. Still same issues; step counter, floor counter, heart rate monitor, etc.. They had the watch for almost two weeks! I'm returning it. What a POS. 

0 Likes
JC Money
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
Wow, Really, cHmvWe6GPx???? This is totally unacceptable! How disappointing. I use to be #Samsung4Life but not anymore.
0 Likes
userKMyus215EI
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well watch number 3 seems worse than watch number 2!  I thought I would try and not update to the newer software Version that was released on August 27.  The new watch already had that Version so it didn't give me a choice.  I checked the gyro sensor and it is passing so I don't think it's hardware.  Phone counts over 4000 steps watch only 2800, pebble steel over 4000 steps.  Someone needs to fix this in the next 28 days or watch number 3 is going back and I am not trying a 4th!  Looks like I have some research to do for a replacement.

0 Likes
user5Hsx6t03kI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

You are brilliant!  This is in fact the problem with this watch.  It is a hardware issue and pathetic quality control.  I tried all the other tips to no avail for 2 weeks, including disabling the autodetect exercises.  Samsung support was useless. Sometimes it tracked but today was off by over 3,000 steps and was fed up.  Read your instructions and tested my watch.  Sure enough - the gyro failed its test!  Went back to the store (thank you Best Buy) and tried the test on a new watch there.  Only on the 3rd watch did I get 3 passes in succession (other passed initially but then failed).  So hopefully it will keep working.  Thank you so much for discovering what the issue really is.  It is so sad that there are mostly lemons in the batch.  Shame on you Samsung!

@SweetiePie1982 wrote:

Hello,

After returning my 2 Galaxy Watches, because of failing to register steps, not counting steps I decided to test the sensors on my 3rd watch which also doesn't count steps correctly. The way you can do it is if you go to your PHONE DİALER  on your watch you can enter *#0*# this will bring you to a screen where you can select sensors then scroll down to gyroscope and click on SELF. This should self test your sensor.  I tested it before and usually PASSED but I tried testing several times and it would PASS and then FAİL! So you might need to test it several times. 

So far no one at Samsung suggested doing that! 

The moral of the story.... This is not a software issue!!! This is a manufacturing and quality control issue! 

0 Likes