JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Galaxy Watch does not count steps

(Topic created: 12-15-2018 09:22 AM)
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Just got my Galaxy Watch yesterday. And already today it stopped counting steps. It counted a little and then all together quit. I reset it multiple times and after the third time it counted 50 steps and quit again. Any one else is having this issue?

446 Replies
Options
Galaxy Watch

My sister was asking me about what watch to get. I've told her to go no where near the Samsung Galaxy watch. And I've advised her to get the Apple watch instead.

Samsung you are going to miss out on so many sales if you do not own upto this and fix the issue. Surely the amount of returns alone should show you there's a problem?

Birdymom
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

I purchased a Gear S2 refurbished that came with a warranty, AND I purchased an extended 2 year warranty for $20. It works great. 

userXnG0DHQTSw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I got the Kate Spade Scallop and it's awesome.  The battery has been lasting me at least 24 hours!

@StephanieJaynePeacock wrote:

My sister was asking me about what watch to get. I've told her to go no where near the Samsung Galaxy watch. And I've advised her to get the Apple watch instead.

Samsung you are going to miss out on so many sales if you do not own upto this and fix the issue. Surely the amount of returns alone should show you there's a problem?

SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hey, give this a try. 

1. From the Apps screen, touch Samsung Health.
  1. Rotate the bezel to and touch Settings.
  1. Touch Workout detection.
  1. Touch the switch to turn Off the Elliptical trainer and Rowing machine. (The icon will turn gray when the function is turned off.)
0 Likes
usercHmvWe6GPx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello moderator, 

Your suggestion does not fix the problem. I tried this yesterday. Not only does the watch not count steps, it does not count floors either. 

userta16peTpYQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

the same issue here. It detected the steps intermittently and it hardly detects the floors. Can someone from Samsung tech support release an update to fix this!!

0 Likes
user2RM6X21jWl
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've noticed that after re-starting my watch today (because it had stopped recording pretty much everything) it now counts steps if you do 10 or more, previously it needed 20 or more. So that will catch more of your movement I guess

Honestly I think I'd be fine with that, as long as the watch is consistent and is in the same ball park with accuracy when counting steps on a walk, as the rest of the competition. Frankly, in most cases, if you've not got to 10 steps, you probably aren't doing anything meaningful, you're basically just stood up. I mean, I spend most of my day shuffling around properties examining them, technically, all that shuffling could add up to quite a few steps on a busy day, but honestly, I'm mostly just stood up, it's better than being sat down, but surely not as beneficial as a walk at a decent pace.

So if the watch can be consistent - and a line has to be drawn somewhere I guess, if the initiation count is too low, every little bump or raising of the wrist is going to up the count, and if the watch is accurate on walks, then I'll be happy with that.

Samsung has got work to do with floor counting still, maybe they can ask the same technical genius that changed the step count number from 20 to 10 and see if he can change the floor height elevation gain from 10ft to 7ft I think.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Watch

Did not work...

userpDHglEAJuY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My new Galaxy Watch is having the same issue. I changed the auto detection settings as suggested in this forum but didn't fix the problem.  I think the issue is in the code for Inactive Time Alerts. (Please have Tech Support research).

I observed that if I'm "inactive" for any time, like sitting at my desk, once I get up it doesn't automatically start counting like my Gear S does. I think it's coded to keep track of the inactive duration, then gets stuck in that mode.

My workaround is to swing my arms & march in place to sort of force it to Auto Detect I'm moving.  After a little bit (haven't timed it), it starts counting my steps and from then on it will keep counting but if I stop moving, it's stuck again.

I'm going to TURN OFF the Inactive Time Alert for a day & see if that fixes it. I don't need that feature anyway - I know when I'm not moving and if it's been an hour, well it's usually because I'm working! 🙂

0 Likes
usercx64yZzeMP
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

That's interesting, I think I'll try this today as well and see if I notice a difference! My watch does the same as yours, when I start walking it takes a while to "kick in" and start counting steps (if I walk 20 steps or less they are not counted ever). I wonder if this will help with floors as well. Worth a try!!!

0 Likes