JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Returning my Samsung Watch 6

(Topic created: 01-03-2024 01:14 PM)
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I've had the Samsung Watch 6 for a little over two months, and I'm returning it. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the watch . . . except for all the health **bleep** that it comes with. 

And, while I can turn off most of it, there's one thing I cannot do: I cannot get a band that will keep the watch from touching my wrist. I don't know what it is about the watch material or design, but after I wear it for several days, it irritates my wrist. So, off it comes as I wait for the irritation to subside. Then I repeat the process. 

I'm talking about the back of the actual watch, not the band (the band is fine). Because of the sensors, sensors I do not need or want, no one makes a skin-friendly band that fits between the wrist and the watch. 

I get that most people are enamored with health tracking (for reasons I cannot fathom), but it sure would be nice (and Samsung could maybe fill a niche market) if we had the option of a watch that interfaces with the phone BUT WITHOUT THE HEALTH stuff. 

Then, I could wear it on a fob, or sports strap, still have all the functionality I want, and not bother with the health stuffI have no need for and is of dubious accuracy and helpfulness. 

It won't happen, and that's OK, but the watch is still going back. I've managed many years without one, I can manage without it going forward. 

Why am I leaving this here? Because on a cursory look, I cannot find a way to leave suggestions for Samsung. It's probably out there, but if it's not easily found, it points to Samsung likely ignoring suggestions.

Thanks, ejd

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

So, I want to thank everyone for their input, but the purpose of this post was to suggest to Samsung a "smart" model that is slimmer (no sensor), with a metal back, and a longer-lasting battery.

Then again, maybe it would be a market of one, so no chance of one being made. 

Anyway, thanks again, and no need to reply any longer.  ejd

View solution in context

0 Likes
9 Replies
Cannonb87
Halo
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have had the irritation issue with all of my galaxy watches. I thought it may have only been me, although the issue with me is the watch bands.
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

There are aftermarket bands available, but I assume you know that. 

For me, the only irritation occurs directly under the watch itself (it matches the raised sensor area), and takes a few days to heal. I don't know if it's related to the material, the shape, or just where it sits on my wrist.

I wear it on the inside of my wrist for ease of use and visibility (on the outside of the wrist, it ends up facing away from me at an angle that's annoying to interact with). That's where I've always worn my watches, and this is the first that has caused me any discomfort. If I were to guess, it's the plastic, as all my other watches have a metal backing. 

Hence, I would prefer a version without the sensors and health stuff (which I don't use and have no need for). The integration with my S23 Ultra is otherwise convenient and useful, but if I can only wear the watch a few days at a time, it's more of a bother than an aid. 

Thanks, ejd

0 Likes
hlfway2anywhere
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
It's contact dermatitis. Clean your watch every day and give your wrist skin some time to breathe.
0 Likes
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

OR . . . I can go back to my stainless steel non-smart watch.

About contact dermatitis, if that's what it is, here's the solution:

"To treat contact dermatitis successfully, you need to identify and avoid the cause of your reaction. If you avoid the substance causing the reaction, the rash often clears up in 2 to 4 weeks."

Assuming it's contact dermatitis triggered the transparent plastic covering the sensors (which is what it looks like based on the irritation on my skin), I'm s.o.l., then, aren't I? Avoiding contact means not wearing the watch.

I won't comment on the implication I don't keep everything I own clean.

I will comment on giving my skin some time to breathe . . . what's the point of having a watch you can't wear all the time?

Besides, it's already off when I shower (every day) and when it's recharging (every day and not at the same time). That amounts to between 1-2 hrs per day.

Look, I like the watch. I like the phone and watch working in tandem, and it's more convenient than whipping out the phone whenever I have a text or alert.

I've looked for alternative ways to wear it (with all the useless health stuff turned off), and if I could find something, I'd keep it.

This wasn't to complain about my first-world problem, and I'm not asking for help or someone to commiserate with me . . . it's to suggest to Samsung there might be a market for people who want a smartwatch without all the health stuff. A watch with a stainless steel back devoid of sensors.

Personally, I don't think most people who have these watches are making full (or even partial) use of the health features. Maybe they do, but the majority of people I speak to barely know how to use basic features on their phones, let alone their watches.

Regardless, it's going back because after spending a lot of time looking for other ways I can wear it, the way the band attaches negates everything I found that might help me.

0 Likes
hlfway2anywhere
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
K it was a suggestion, I wasn't asking for a 3 page essay but off sis.
0 Likes
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I like to be thorough in case it was an honest suggestion and not a dismissive comment.

I'm sorry you had to read more than a sentence, but like you, I wasn't asking for suggestions. Suggestions having been made, I felt compelled to address them.

You may — if you so desire — consider the response a gift, unasked for but from the heart.

Sincerely, ejd

0 Likes
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Aftermarket 20 mm bands work. There are bands that would cover back. The sensors can be turned off.
0 Likes
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Apparently, long replies are not in favor, so here goes:

Sensors already off. Not found suitable band. Still looking, but with little hope. Considered alternating wrists. Still high likelihood of watch being returned. 

0 Likes
Solution
ejdalise
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

So, I want to thank everyone for their input, but the purpose of this post was to suggest to Samsung a "smart" model that is slimmer (no sensor), with a metal back, and a longer-lasting battery.

Then again, maybe it would be a market of one, so no chance of one being made. 

Anyway, thanks again, and no need to reply any longer.  ejd

0 Likes