Original topic:

Samsung pay on Watch 4 requires pin with unlocked device after update

(Topic created: 07-31-2023 10:37 AM)
Mebe83
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Is anyone else all of a sudden since the last update having to enter in their pin to use Samsung pay when your watch is already unlocked???

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
It appears that some kind of update came down for my Galaxy 4 watch. Now I have to unlock my phone for everything whether I get a message or need to use Samsung pay I need to unlock it twice. I am the stand unlocking for Samsung pay because this is the way it was in the past but they changed it when you only had to unlock the watch. Now I unlock my watch after I charge it and put it on and then when I want to use Samsung pay I have to unlock it again. Also when it's unlocked and then I get a message or phone call I have to put in my PIN number again. Is this going to go on forever or is this just a glitch in the new update?
VerbumVeritum
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hello there! In your Watch's About section>Software information, which version of One UI do you have installed?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
4.5. This phenomenon only started happening a few days ago
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
So your issue is that you have to unlock the watch whenever you put it on, and also whenever using Samsung Pay? This is a security feature when using Samsung Pay, and unfortunately cannot be disabled. But you also mentioned the watch is constantly having you unlock it, even though you haven't taken it off. Is this correct? It seems like your watch might not be detecting that it is on your wrist. How often does this usually happen per day?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
I know sbout the samsung pay security. Thats the way it was in earlier version. Then they decided that you should lock the whole waych and you didnt have to unlock samsung pay each tome you use it. The othet day that all changed. Now i have to unlock my watch when i put on (as alwaysl, when i use Samsung pay (new} and when I get a text message. This is ridiculous. I don't mind entering a security code to unlock my watch OR to use Samsung pay, not both. And it is utter folly to have to unlock my watch while wearing it to read or send a message (and who knows what else.

If I didable the watch security, it will most likely disable Samsung pay and wipe out all my cards.
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ah, I see! Yes, you shouldn't have to manually unlock to use Samsung Pay if you're wearing the watch. That is even more indication that your watch might not be detecting your wrist. Can you use your watch normally otherwise, besides having to unlock for texts? Does it ever lock at any other times?
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
I can use my watch normally and all sensors seem to be working. I only came across this a day or two ago with Samsung pay and today with the texts. I even tebooted the watch. I will clean the sensors and see if that helps.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

Mine started making me do that for Samsung Pay about a week ago. Don't remember getting any update. I haven't noticed it for texts, because I'll usually just go to my phone when I get one and not my watch. I'll unlock my watch when I put it on, work with it on all day, and when I do my shopping will have to unlock it again when I use Samsung Pay.

CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
0 Likes
userOAlXoSJdrg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have a similar situation going on with my Watch4 (paired to GS22+ btw). Once I unlock the watch after putting it on the WATCH stays unlocked for everything EXCEPT for Samsung Pay, which requires a PIN now even though I haven't taken the watch off and the watch is unlocked. Very annoying. 

And to think of it it's actually a security concern for me. When I unlock my watch in the privacy of my own home that's one thing. To need to put in my PIN while at the checkout line with lurking eyes, I'm not a fan of this new behavior...

jlzimmerman
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
This feature is worthless due to its inconvenience if I have to use a pin or pattern to unlock my watch to view ANYTHING. Why can't it just require a pin/pattern after I long press the button to start the NFC transaction? Is there a way to change this?