Original topic:

Samsung pay popup, battery drain, back button not working

(Topic created: a week ago)
Members_Wng91hb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

7/17/24 - I have a galaxy watch 3 that SUDDENLY drained overnight.  In bed by 9 at 100% and 2 hours into the next  workday I noticed it was dead.  Charged it up and noticed samsung pay keeps popping up and wanting to be set up.  I don't use pay and have not installed it.  I am also noticing the back button is not working normally as it should sometimes not at all.

I have not made any changes at all to configuration, installed apps, or adjustment to the Wear app on my phone.  This issue cropped up on its own for some reason on 7/15/24.  I tried a factory reset of the watch which did not help at all.  Setting it to power save mode stopped the samsung pay popup but also drained over night (8-9 hours) from 100% to 3 or 4 %.  The last update on the watch was 12/27/23, so I'm scratching my head, can't find an event that might cause this.....

Any solutions, experiences or insights would be helpful.  If I can't figure this out then I'm done with Samsung and will go with a Pixel or a Seiko, these things are way too expensive to be useless in a couple of years.

6 Replies
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Might I suggest a factory reset? This usually fixes most problems on the watch.
0 Likes
Members_Wng91hb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I had already tried a factory reset before I posted.  It did no good at all.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Maybe the battery needs to be replaced,they are up to series 7 now. That means your watch is now almost 4 years old. Batteries degrade over time. Bring it to a repair center and see if they can replace the battery.

Or you can opt to trade in your watch 3 for a new Watch 7. I just checked, and they will give you $150 towards a new watch 7, if you go to YouTube and try to find an affiliate link for $50 cedit you can get a Watch 7 with an extra band for $129. For the 44mm bluetooth version.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
Samsung pay comes pre installed on the watch. It's activated by long pressing the back button. You do not have to set it up or use it, but obviously you have been pressing the back button for too long. If you want to go back a step, all it takes is a light tap on the back button. No need to hold it, or you will keep activating Samsung pay. This cannot be disabled. So lighten up on the touch. Also not causing battery drain, as it does not, cannot pop up by itself and once you put you hand over the screen to turn it off, the activity stops. So, if you are pressing the back button too hard to back out of the pay app, all you are doing is reactivating the sequence.
0 Likes
Members_Wng91hb
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

What you describe is correct for a normally functioning watch.  However, this is not true for my watch, Pat does pop up on its own with NO button press at all, the battery drains rapidly, the back button does not work at all, and now the watch is crashing regularly while there is still 50%+ battery left (so not a low power shutdown).

There is a problem that is so far un-diagnosed which needs to be addressed and I have no clue how to proceed.  My only choice at this point is to consider what to replace it with.......

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

Well then, your watch has an abnormality somewhere.  Perhaps the best course of action would be to do a diagnostic and/or factory reset and restore your backup.  Pay does not normally pop up on its own, absent user action.  So, your watch is the exception, not the rule.  If the watch proves to be defective after a reset, then I would suggest you return  it for a warranty replacement.

0 Likes