JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Use as child's watch and tracker?

(Topic created: 04-05-2023 06:27 PM)
userdXMGzuWTid
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I would like to buy an LTE capable galaxy watch 4 or 5 and give it to my child to wear without them having a phone. Can I still assign a phone number to it for calls and texts and track his location with GPS? How would I look for the GPS location (what app)? Can I test this my wifi galaxy watch 4 or will it only work on one with LTE?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand the importance that an LTE watch can play on our daily live, and you can assign an individual number to the watch through your carrier. However, please note: Galaxy Fit models and Galaxy Watches running Wear OS cannot be used without a phone.

View solution in context

14 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@userdXMGzuWTid You can only get a dedicated phone number for the LTE version. The Bluetooth version depends on a connected phone. 

Robin621k
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy Watch
Smart watches do get assigned a telephone number, it is then paired with your phone through number share. You cannot just call the watch or text to the number of the watch. You used to be able to do this, too many people were doing this to have a phone line for $10 a month. You can do it just for GPS tracking through the Find My app on your phone.
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand the importance that an LTE watch can play on our daily live, and you can assign an individual number to the watch through your carrier. However, please note: Galaxy Fit models and Galaxy Watches running Wear OS cannot be used without a phone.

userPl6WJBFXZd
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have an lte galaxy 6 watch with its own phone number and tied to a Samsung phone and am trying to track my child's location. Google maps only shows the phone location and not the watch location. 

The SmartThings app is just not up to par as far as ease of real time tracking and reliability. 

Is there anything else out there that will show location tracking for a galaxy 6 watch besides the SmartThings app?  I cannot believe it is almost 2024 and Samsung hasn't redeveloped this feature yet.

IRStaten
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
How old is the child? I got mine a gizmo watch from Verizon. I can see her location, make calls, texts and video calls. I never tried to track my watch.. I should tho.
0 Likes
userPl6WJBFXZd
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

We currently do have a Gizmo watch. I was trying to update them to something less clunky and more sleek looking that they could use until they can buy their own but would provide at least location sharing in an easy manner in the meantime. 

0 Likes
IRStaten
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Ahh! I'm looking into tracking
Edit: only tracking I see avaliable is through smart things..
0 Likes
smartbanana
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi! Did you solve this problem?
I never thought that it is not possible to track LTE watches connected to the phone, but now I can see location only if watches are 10m from me connected via bluetooth, what doesn't make sense. Didn't find any app to track GalaxyWatch6Lte, only SmartThings.

So maybe you have idea or advice how to track watch location on my phone?

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
userPl6WJBFXZd
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

No idea. I haven't found a way to track the watches other than using Smart Things. I really hope someone from Samsung is reading this and starts working on something better!

0 Likes