JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What is the purpose of a phone plan on a watch?

(Topic created: 01-12-2023 02:56 PM)
userm58U2bwfIZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

I don't understand the purpose of the phone plan on the watch. The watch never stays charged. It especially drains quickly without the real phone being nearby. Why does the watch need a phone plan?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello @userm58U2bwfIZ, I hope that you're doing well.

None of the Samsung Galaxy Watches require a data plan. For the LTE models, you can get a data plan on them however it is not required. The purpose of it is to eliminate the need of having your cell phone with you at all times so that you can still receive calls, texts and use apps such as when at the gym or out for a run. For those on the LTE version of the watch, when on mobile data, battery doesn't drain as much as the regular watch which is looking for a Bluetooth signal.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in context

7 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello @userm58U2bwfIZ, I hope that you're doing well.

None of the Samsung Galaxy Watches require a data plan. For the LTE models, you can get a data plan on them however it is not required. The purpose of it is to eliminate the need of having your cell phone with you at all times so that you can still receive calls, texts and use apps such as when at the gym or out for a run. For those on the LTE version of the watch, when on mobile data, battery doesn't drain as much as the regular watch which is looking for a Bluetooth signal.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
userm58U2bwfIZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
If they don't require one then why did they give me a new line with a phone number.
Also, the battery doesn't last my work day whether it's on mobile data or not. So I can't use it to call anybody or text anybody because it's always dead.
Tisme2b
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
The only reason your carrier would give you a new line for your watch is if you asked for one. If your watch is connected to your phone via Bluetooth then it works the same. The one reason you may want or need a plan for your watch is if you want to leave your phone home while you go some place else and are too far away for your watch to connect to the phones. If that is something that you don't really need (because your phone is always with you), then cancel the plan for your watch and just use the Bluetooth connection.
userm58U2bwfIZ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
The watch battery doesn't last a full work day. Connected or not. Is that true for you?
Tisme2b
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
I have the GW5 40mm version, Bluetooth only (not LTE). I get between 30-48 hours on a feel charge.
0 Likes
Tisme2b
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch
Your watch does not need a phone plan if you usually have your watch and your phone paired via Bluetooth. The LTE watches tend to use more battery than the Bluetooth versions. If you prefer not to have a phone plan and just stay connected to your phone via Bluetooth then turn off LTE, get rid of the plan for your watch and connect via Bluetooth. As mentioned, usually there only people who want the LTE versions are people who want to leave their phone behind.
0 Likes
rnathan96
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
If you got it from your Carrier you will have to get it activated with a line. We don't sell watches unless there is a line attached, I work at at&t. If you don't need a line then don't buy from your Carrier. Carriers only sell lte models which cost more then Bluetooth only models. Whoever sold the watch to you should have stated you would be getting a watch line since going through the carrier. And especially If you want to pay monthly for the watch you cannot finance without the line.