JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S95C Audio Delay on Output to External Stereo

(Topic created: 02-29-2024 10:06 AM)
GreenHawk84
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hello, I recently noticed that my audio on any source (Xbox Series X, Playstation 5) was delayed when using either optical out or HDMI eARC out of the S95C One Connect box to my Yamaha RX-V485 receiver.  I could easily compare the delays by pressing a button on the controllers to get a sound on the stereo, then switch it to TV audio on and see how fast it responded.  The audio on the S95C speakers is immediately responsive.  The audio from the receiver is behind just enough to notice it is out of sync.

I tried just about every setting I could find, and nothing would cause the sound to be as fast as the TV speakers.  The audio delay slider on the S95C was set to 0 down from 100 default.  The "passthrough" option is selected for eARC audio.  "PCM" was toggled from Auto to On, and Auto again.

I selected PCM uncompressed on Xbox and PS5, as well as Dolby options.  None of these are alleviating the delay.  It really feels like the S95C is sending a delayed audio signal to my receiver no matter what.

I enjoy hooking up these gaming sources directly to the S95C One Connect box, because I can enjoy HDMI 2.1 signals which have VRR and 120Hz options.  The audio is less important, but the audio delay is really unacceptable.

This results in everything having a small delay, which is noticeable.  Even a friend of mine noticed without me saying anything that the voices were slightly off.

Hopefully Samsung recognizes this issue and can fix it with an update, instead of it being inherent with the design of the S95C and thus it is not fixable without perhaps a new stereo system that passes through HDMI 2.1 at higher bandwidth.

4 Replies
GreenHawk84
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Just an update on this, I involved Yamaha to try and troubleshoot my RX-V485 receiver.  They asked me to unplug the receiver for 10 seconds to power cycle it and try again.  I first tried the Playstation 5 again on S95C HDMI port 2, and also noticed that I still needed to select Passthrough on the S95C settings.  After doing this, the PS5 was providing faster audio just like the S95C speakers over eARC.  Great news there.

Unfortunately, when I switched over to test the Xbox Series X on S95C HDMI port 1, I got the delay again.  I ensured that Passthrough was selected on the S95C, and again in the Xbox settings, which does not help in this case.  I switched to optical audio on the S95C, still the same delay.  Xbox is set to use the default Stereo Uncompressed sound.  Once again switched to the S95C speakers on the Xbox and the sound speed was perfect.  This could indicate that the Xbox is producing sound at the correct timing.  Not sure why now only the Xbox is giving me the lag over S95Cs external sound outputs when the PS5 seems to be solved.

0 Likes
GreenHawk84
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Still going through some trouble shooting with Yamaha to rule out the RX-V485.  So far nothing has proven that it would be the root cause.

This seems like a Samsung/Microsoft issue, since the Playstation 5 is working with synced audio.  When the Xbox is selected, the menu sounds in the S95C are synced perfect but then exiting back to the Xbox I am getting the lag under any settings.

The only way to get Xbox audio synced to video is if I go direct S95C speakers.  Something is happening when the audio is passing through the S95C One Connect Box.

0 Likes
GreenHawk84
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I went ahead and opened this to Microsoft.  Here is the post link and reply from them acknowledging the problem: Xbox Series X and Samsung OLED eARC Sound Delay - Microsoft Community

In case anyone runs into this 👍

0 Likes
Solution
GreenHawk84
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Update on this topic, Microsoft released a patch for Xbox Series X that reintroduces "Uncompressed 5.1" option in the Sound Options menu.  This was not previously available, so selecting this instead of "Uncompressed Stereo" solves the sound delay problem.  Thanks to Samsung techs if they were involved with any compatibility fixes with Microsoft.