JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Audio Lag On HW-Q80R Soundbar

(Topic created: 06-29-2019 09:23 AM)
JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

The soundbar is connected to a Sony XBR 930D tv. I’ve only had the soundbar about 10 days and I wasn’t having this issue initially. So I’m thinking it may be due to some setting I’ve changed on the tv, I’ve been playing around quite a bit trying to get the ideal set up. The issue is that the video is fractionally ahead of the audio, enough for me to notice and be annoyed when I see lips moving out of sync with the words. The audio delay function on the soundbar cannot help, it can only worsen the issue. I have a Fios One dvr providing my tv service. It’s connected to the tv and the tv is connected by the HDMI(ARC) connection to the soundbar. 

Again, I suspect it’s some setting I’ve changed on the tv since there was no such issue when I first installed the soundbar. I’ve read similar complaints but since the issue did not initially exist I’m not thinking this is due to the soundbar. But I don’t know what setting I could change on my tv to resolve this. Both the tv and the soundbar are on their latest respective software versions. The soundbar, 1008. Any suggestions on resolving this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userjWAb6X8RKd
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Try connect your source directly to soundbar and soundbar output to tv. Sound will go out of soundbar without any lag, and video will pass through to tv

View solution in context

14 Replies
Solution
userjWAb6X8RKd
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Try connect your source directly to soundbar and soundbar output to tv. Sound will go out of soundbar without any lag, and video will pass through to tv

JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

The tv has had an update in the past week. The issue remains but is less noticeable. I still believe it’s related to the tv. It also seems to vary between channels and even programs. I’ve found Sony help suggestions that mentioned two possible solutions. Switch digital output to PCM on the tv and/or switch to an optical cable connection. Since my previous Samsung soundbar used an optical cable without an issue I suspect the HDMI ARC connection may be the problem. 

I get my tv service from a Fios One dvr connected to the tv and that’s where I’m noticing the lag. I’m not inclined to switch the dvr connection to the soundbar at this time. I have an Apple TV 4K connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the bar to take advantage of the ATMOS capability. And that leaves only one HDMI port left available. But I could experiment later if I wouldn’t be creating another issue. 

0 Likes
JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

I did this today. I already had an Apple TV 4K connected to HDMI 1 on the soundbar which was getting the ATMOS audio on the bar. After I connected my Fios One dvr to HDMI 2 on the bar there was no more lag, fingers crossed. I did have to reboot all devices to get the video on my tv but on the one channel where the issue was most noticeable I no longer see/hear any lag. Some settings on my tv and dvr got changed but I think I have everything back to where they’re supposed to be. 

Thank you for the suggestion. 

RobRam
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Ive had this very same issue with both lag and out of sync when it was connectedvia bluetooth. Once i connected the sound bar to the tv with optical cable all issues were gone

0 Likes
JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

Yeah, I’m thinking the optical cable might fix it but then what do you lose?  And since I have an Apple TV 4K connected to the bar I don’t think the soundbar can pass the 4K to the tv through the optical cable. I’m trying to keep all this straight but it’s a little confusing. If I connect the Apple TV back to the tv then I lose the ATMOS function. 

RobRam
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I see your concern and your right, you would lose its optimal performance via optical. If you already own a optical cable try it out and see what happens, that way you can say you have exhausted all measures to correct the issues.

Analog

0 Likes
JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

I’ve been thinking about doing that but I’m a little hesitant because if all the lag disappears, then what? I’d have to make the decision to either put up with occasional lag, it’s really not that bad, my wife doesnt notice but she’s usually doing something else while watching, or be content with the idea that I’m going to be missing out on a few things and stop my whining. If I decide to go back to optical I would also then have to connect my Apple TV back to the tv as well since, if I grasp this properly, no video would go to the tv. 

Although changing the ATV back to the tv would make things more convenient when I use it. When connected to the tv, just waking it up gets the tv to automatically switch inputs to the ATV. The way it is now, connected to the soundbar, I have to wake the ATV, change the input on the soundbar to HDMI 1, and then change the tv to the ARC input. So currently a 3 step process when it previously was a one step process. Oh, the dilemma🤷‍:male_sign: Thanks for the suggestions though!

0 Likes
tmuth
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@JP11 

I solved the audio sync issues with FiOS today with what I belive is a new technique and posted the solution here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Home-Theater/Audio-Lag-Sync-with-FiOS-One-Solved/m-p/1053303

0 Likes
JP11
Halo
Options
Home Theater

On my tv there is a similar setting and I had set it to PCM there. That did work however you lose certain audio aspects, I've read the details but don't really understand all the terms. So I just routed my Fios box and Apple TV to the soundbar first and then the soundbar to the tv. That took care of the lag without losing any audio capability. There are one or two broadcasts occasionally, and Amazon Video has a couple shows, that have some lag but it's rare now. 

It's too bad the manufacturers don’t deal with this themselves because I think most people will first connect their devices to the tv and then the audio equipment. This wasn't a problem when I used an optical cable to connect the soundbar but for  complete audio capability you're instructed to use the HDMI cable and ports. 

0 Likes