JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How set up and verify Atmos with 990C soundbar and non-Samsung TV

(Topic created: 05-22-2024 12:36 PM)
CapD
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

It is not clear to me that my soundbar is set up in a way that it will actually play Atmos content. When Atmos content plays, does it show that in the soundbar display (not the TV’s)? I streamed an Atmos movie from an ATV4k that directly connects via HDMI to the 990C soundbar (soundbar to TCL 4K TV with HDMI)  and when I press the Info button on the soundbar remote it shows “Multichannel PCM” which I’m pretty sure means it is not using Atmos. I verified that the ATV4k’s audio options are set up to pass along Atmos. Only thing I’ve seen online is that Atmos might be turned off by eARC. Any thoughts?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! I would recommend trying the information in the following link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00084846/. As for weather it will show it or not it should show it on the soundbar display.  You can also use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049272/ to help set up your soundbar. Please let me know if this helps!

Tony15
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

To ensure your TCL 4K TV and Samsung Q990C soundbar are properly set up to play Dolby Atmos content, let's go through some key points and troubleshooting steps:

1. Verify HDMI Connections:
- Ensure your Apple TV 4K (ATV4K) is connected directly to the HDMI input on your Samsung Q990C soundbar.
- Connect the HDMI output from the Samsung Q990C soundbar to the HDMI ARC/eARC input on your TCL 4K TV.

2. Check Audio Settings on ATV4K:
- Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format on the ATV4K.
- Make sure "Change Format" is set to Off.
- Ensure "Dolby Atmos" is selected under "Immersive Audio."

3. Enable eARC on Your TCL 4K TV:
- Navigate to Settings > Audio > HDMI ARC or eARC on your TCL TV.
- Enable eARC if it's available.
- Ensure the audio output is set to "Passthrough" or "Auto."

4. Check Soundbar Display:
- When Atmos content is playing, the Samsung Q990C soundbar should display "Dolby Atmos" or "Atmos" on its front panel display.
- If it shows “Multichannel PCM,” it means the audio signal is not in Dolby Atmos format.

5. Troubleshoot eARC Settings:
- Some users have reported that disabling eARC on the TV can sometimes resolve issues with Atmos not being properly recognized. This is counterintuitive but worth trying.

6. Content Verification:
- Ensure the content you are streaming is actually encoded in Dolby Atmos. Platforms like Netflix, Disney+, and Apple TV+ often label Atmos content clearly.

Steps to Diagnose and Correct the Issue:

- Double-check Cables:
Use high-speed HDMI cables that support 4K and Dolby Atmos.

- Soundbar Settings:
- On the Samsung Q990C soundbar, go to Settings and ensure that the sound mode is set to "Auto" or a mode that supports Atmos.
- Check for firmware updates for both your soundbar and TV.

- Test with Different Content:
- Play different titles known to have Dolby Atmos to ensure it's not a content-specific issue.

If after these steps your soundbar still does not display “Dolby Atmos,” it suggests a potential configuration issue either with the ATV4K, the soundbar, or the TV’s settings. In that case, consider consulting the user manuals for each device or reaching out to customer support for more detailed troubleshooting.

Following these guidelines should help you identify and fix the issue, ensuring you get the full Dolby Atmos experience from your setup.

0 Likes