JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update LOVE !! - 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950

(Topic created: 08-14-2017 09:05 AM)
Tweetatoo
Halo
Options
Home Theater

Needs update !! 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950 Hey Samsung Support This sound bar really needs to be updated to get those back wireless speakers working, you can hardly hear anything even when bringing the individual volume up, it also seems to have handshake issues with your SAMSUNG TV's. DTS-X support would be amazing ! Overall it's a good bar but really could be fantastic if you gave us a little software/firmware update love !

106 Replies
userxXJt2SpBem
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Dose this mean I can't receive Dolby Atmos through my Sky Q box ?? Or is there a way I can do this ? Thanks 

0 Likes
user8j37Kth87n
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

" I can't receive Dolby Atmos through my Sky Q box ?"

It's not possible with this soundbar as ARC does NOT pass ATMOS.   You will know it's in ATMOS mode when you see tiny soundbar screen says "AVR".  Otherwise, you have a $1500 glorified simulated surround soundbar, which could have gotten for $400 with Bose.

0 Likes
userB5bP9ufvsG
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

What does "Fake Surround" mean...how do I alter that setting...thanks

So after reading some threads, am I understanding this correctly that if I see "AVR" Speakers in the marquee then I am in ATMOS mode....I do not have a blue light but do have the AVR Speakers HDMI 1 scrolling....thanks much....

0 Likes
userjL1Pqf4SKV
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@userB5bP9ufvsG wrote:

What does "Fake Surround" mean...how do I alter that setting...thanks

So after reading some threads, am I understanding this correctly that if I see "AVR" Speakers in the marquee then I am in ATMOS mode....I do not have a blue light but do have the AVR Speakers HDMI 1 scrolling....thanks much....

No.   AVR Speaker scrolling could mean a number of different sound modes.  The one thing it does mean is that you what you are hearing is not Atmos.     When Atmos is working, you see it scroll "Atmos" (in the same way it does with other text).  Plus, none of the sound modes work (sport, movies etc) as they are disabled.

One of the major deficiencies of this speaker system is that it does not display what sound mode you are in apart from atmos.

0 Likes
userwnBpVoqCVc
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I have my Sky Q box plugged into hdmi 1 on the sound bar and Dolby Atmos is working fine for me. Make sure you've selected Dolby plus in the audio settings on the Sky Q box. As far as I know it's only Premier League football that has Dolby Atmos at the minute. 

0 Likes
userbTBOw54WDX
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I am having my new OLED55B7 delivered in a few days.. Its has a built in DTS (HW-K950 does not) and Atmos decoder and I was wodering if I can output the the sound through the ARC and will it work. If not can I use the sound HDMI Audio Return Channel from TV to the main HDMI input on the sound bar? ANYONE try this yet.. 

If I can't get one of these options to work I will be returning the soundbar šŸ˜ž

0 Likes
HanSoloAu
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater
Nope. TV ARC to soundbar HDMI 1 just makes the soundbar switch to ARC mode (hahah even though nothing is plugged into its ARC). I am guessing this is because it reads the incoming HDMI metadata signal and detects thats it is coming from ARC source and so tries to be clever and switches to ARC. If you manually set soundbar to HDMI 1 your TV will stop sending ARC signal because the HDMI target is rejecting it.

To get Atmos (say from netflix) from your TV to the soundbar you have to use a receiver (how sad is that). So you plug TV ARC into an audio receiver (that supports atmos pass through) and then connect the receiver into the soundbar HDMI 1.... yes its crap. If Atmos over ARC is important to you from your TV then take this soundbar back and get an LG soundbar and buy 2 rear wireless speakers separately. This will give you 5.1.2 dolby atmos surround sound.
0 Likes
user1fqCxlsJpQ
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Any help here would be much appreciated. Iā€™m usually pretty clued up with Home cinema installs but my HW-K 950  has me stummped.

My Tv is a Sammy UE65KS 7500 and Iā€™m using an XBOX ONE S as my 4k Blu-ray.  I downloaded the Atmos Dolby app for Xbox and went through all the setting changes for audio and played the Anaze demo. I get picture but no sound. If I stop the Blu-ray app from letting the 950 decode and switching it to Dolby Digital in the audio settings I get sound but no blue light or Atmos message on the display.

tried this with a Sammy 4k Blu-ray player and again no sound. Also the TV has taken control of the 950s remote controls and I canā€™t turn off TV REMOTE control.

4k Blu-ray for anyone who can solve this!!!!

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Read early notes in this thread.  Make sure Anynet is turned on for all devices or off for all devices.   Make sure the hmdi is connected into hmdi 1 or 2 in the soundbar with the hmdi arc back to the tv or one connect box.   Unplug the tv for a free minutes and allow everything to reboot.   Also,  get the updated firmware for the soundbar.  You'll need to download the app to your phone. 

0 Likes
GremlinX
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

If you have your soundbar connected to your WIFI the Soundbar will down load it automatically, it will update even with the power off.

0 Likes