JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update LOVE !! - 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950

(Topic created: 11-14-2017 01:02 PM)
Tweetatoo
Halo
Options
Home Theater

Needs update !! 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950 Hey Samsung Support This sound bar really needs to be updated to get those back wireless speakers working, you can hardly hear anything even when bringing the individual volume up, it also seems to have handshake issues with your SAMSUNG TV's. DTS-X support would be amazing ! Overall it's a good bar but really could be fantastic if you gave us a little software/firmware update love !

106 Replies
userDlwFN7uMtZ
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater
I use my xbox one s as my 4k uhd blu-ray player/gaming system as well. Make sure that you are using the soundbars hdmi cable and connect it to the ARC of your tv's connect-mini, and then connect it to your soundbars ARC hdmi port. Then connect your xbox one s hdmi out to either hdmi 1 or 2 on the soundbar. Whatever the source of your hdmi ARC on your tv is, you have to use the soundbars remote and change the source to either hdmi 1 or 2. If you already have your xbox on, wait a half second and then the picture should appear. Then go into the audio settings of your xbox and change to bitstream out and select dolby atmos....Make sure that you do not have any headphones connected then you should be good to go. I hope that my advice is helpful....good luck.
userzvvVscQby9
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater
hey, hope you can help. When my PS4 pro is connected to the K950, and my K950 to the TV via ARC, I'm only getting sound and the video keeps flickering on and off. Would you know what that's about?

regards
0 Likes
userJcvtrVvq7F
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userzvvVscQby9wrote:
hey, hope you can help. When my PS4 pro is connected to the K950, and my K950 to the TV via ARC, I'm only getting sound and the video keeps flickering on and off. Would you know what that's about?

regards

Hi,

I have that issue with my PS4 Pro to, and I can solve it temporarily by turning off the TV (leave the soundbar and console running) and then on again.

K950 is a big, big compromise for your PS4 Pro if you have a high-end tv with 4K/HDR-support. The soundbar degrades both your sound AND image-quality the same second you plug it in. And you can't do anything about it.

1) You are locked to showing YCbCr420 instead of full RGB, which means you don't get the same image quality as directly plugging in the PS4 Pro to you TV.

2) You are locked to compressed DTS at best since K950 doesn't support LPCM 5.1 surroundsound.

Asked here for help on my issue with the image flicking on and off, but the support didn't wan't to help me solve the problem, unfortunately.

0 Likes
userzvvVscQby9
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Hey. Thanks for getting back. Appreciate it. I think I'm left with the option of returning the sounder. I only bought it 3 weeks ago.

I find it so hard to believe that Samsung would produce a sound bar that degrades the quality of the picture when connected to an external device. I'm really baffled by that. The Samsung website claims unde the product specs, that it supports 4K passthrough. My HW K950 clearly doesn't, whether it's a matter of a faulty unit or that the product simply doesn't support that.

I'm really saddened because I have a few Samsung products and I love them, but this is the most troublesome Samsung product I've ever owned and I regret that I'll be sending it back.

kind regards

0 Likes
userXf3pAsbaJu
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Maybe we can find a ARC signal extractor so we can connect the hdmi coming from this device to the HMDI input of the soundbar.

ARC HDMI signal coming from the TV --> device/ARC extractor/converter --> soundbar HDMI 1

0 Likes
userHpt4EFoq8a
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Okja on Netflix is atmos but you gotta pay for the most expensive package option get it. 

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Okja is HDR, which is enhanced 4k video, but the audio is 5.1.    

0 Likes
user1PkJPIcRak
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

If you have an lg 2017 model or an xbox one you will get dolby atmos on okja...

0 Likes
userjL1Pqf4SKV
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

@user1PkJPIcRak wrote:

If you have an lg 2017 model or an xbox one you will get dolby atmos on okja...

Yes and no to that.     

Since 4.7.10 firmware (or the last update on the Netflix app as both happened at the same time) on the LG, the Netflix app will detect whether you are using HDMI or internal sound.   If internal, it will show ATMOS on the programme description and play Atmos through the TV speakers.   However, if you select audio out, it will show 5.1.

As it stands, you cannot get Atmos over arc from the netflix app to the soundbar.

usersCV5A2VeTp
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

How did you do the receiver setup? I have a DD+ receiver spare but only have one output - HDMI ARC, how do you get it to pass through to the soundbar HDMI inputs?

0 Likes