Original topic:

Glass Shelf Impossible to Remove for Cleaning RF32CG5400SRAA

(Topic created: 12-21-2023 09:44 AM)
KitchenMimi
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The glass shelf unit above the vegetable crisper cannot be cleaned. Juice and a few crumbs have gotten trapped between the glass and the plastic frame. There is no way to remove the glass from the frame for cleaning. All the tutorials are for other models and the product user guide completely skips over this shelf entirely. The Samsung team I have spoke to so far is clueless and just keeps sending me instructions for other models. There are no clips to release the glass and no instructions. In the meantime, it is  mold and salmonella waiting to happen. I have only had the unit for 2 months and I can't fathom years with no way to clean the shelf. This is disgusting and frankly it is a health hazard. Samsung needs to recall this shelf and replace with something functional. Model

RF32CG5400SRAA

409332739_1346606252884460_5411470680635841603_n.jpg411734171_278325571504123_9158844299769191938_n.jpg411706844_1448263299054878_3956039363882898440_n.jpg

5 Replies
Sun
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Take it in the shower with you.
Baileylove123
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We are having the same problem with our refrigerator.  The glass does not come off to enable you to clean it.  Has Samsung offered you any solution?  I got nowhere with them

0 Likes
Spudly55
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The design on this model is pretty poor when compared to the previous models.  It will come out, but it’s not the easiest thing to do. It will be easier with two people as you will need to twist and pull in some of the steps and the extra hands will come in helpful.

1. You will need a large flat area to this on.  We used our dining room table. 

Use a philips head screwdriver, remove the two screws holding the black bar into the bottom of the shelf.
  2. Slide the black bar out of the shelf.  It can slide out of either side once the screws are removed.
  3. On the top side of the shelf, remove the silver trim piece on the front side of the shelf.  You will want to use something non-marring as you will be sliding along the glass to release the tension on the silver piece.  We used some Auto Trim Removal Tools, you can get them at Amazon or at most local auto parts stores.  You’ll want the plastic pry tools, not the metal style.

Using a thiner tool pry up one side or the top of the silver piece, then using a wider tool work it under the back side of the silver piece that is against the glass.  You will hear and feel the tensioners holding the silver piece in place pop loose as you work across the length  of the shelf.

Once the silver piece is released it will roll forward and come off of the shelf.
  4. There are three tabs in the shelf plastic that hold the front of the glass to the shelf.  The rear of the glass sits in a channel that is the width of the glass.

You will have to twist the front of the plastic down to release the clips.  You will need to work through them one at a time.  The Auto Trim Removal Tools come in handy here as well to keep the glass from popping back into the tabs as you are working the glass out.

Once all three tabs in the front are released you can pull the glass forward and out of the shelf.
  5. With everything apart, dry and clean all of the parts then work backwards through these instructions to put the shelf together again.  

johncfl
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I figured it out based on these instructions.  First I tried without removing the black bar but then I realized it needs to be removed so its easier to flex the plastic frame to remove the glass.   I used a piece of plastic to pry the silver trim as described in step 3.  For step 4, I twisted the plastic frame down at one corner just enough to release the glass and then moved along slowly prying the glass out from one end to the other.  Now that I've done it, next time should be much easier.  A YouTube video would be very helpful. 

billcollier
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I ended up getting it without removing the bar.  I just took a screw driver and pried the silver strip just over the lip.  It takes a small amount of force to get it over the lip on each end.  The rest of the strip pops off easily.  From there you have to bend the plastic backwards and push up on the glass.  That was more difficult but doable.  What a PIA.  And other than you guys I could find nothing to help get it off.  Thank you!!

0 Likes