Original topic:

Mold inside door ice and water dispensers

(Topic created: Tuesday)
JRR2782
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello all. I am reading numerous solutions to clean the mold build up inside door mounted ice and water dispenser refrigerator models. Regardless of brand the overall design is horrendous. The ONLY WAY to remedy this issue is on a monthly or quarterly schedule to completely remove the entire door dispenser and clean it with bleach, soap and water. Areas inside are not accessible without removing the dispenser in its entirety. I did this last year and was disgusted with what was inside. A year later and it was the same. I will now do this regularly or I may forgo getting ice from the door and dump it into a tray and keep it in the freezer. There are several good YouTube videos on how to remove the panel. Not very hard but you will need a bit of mechanical skill. Hope this helps someone avoid getting sick from toxic  mold! 

1 Reply
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Try using a vinegar solution: Mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the mold inside of your refrigerator and/or freezer it kills mold and mildew.
Using bleach will actually make the mold problem worse on porous surfaces, and bleach can't reach the mold's roots inside porous surfaces, so the mold often returns. Mold feeds on the water in bleach, potentially worsening the growth and spreading the mold. Applying bleach can cause mold to spread to previously unaffected areas, too. You can also add baking soda (1tsp) and 2 to 3 drops of fresh lemon to the vinegar and water. Sometimes, I use bubbly water or carbonated water instead of distilled water in my cleaning solutions and a teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide, but 1 teaspoon to every 24 ounces of water. Bleach is caustic, even when cut with water, and it's very damaging to porous surfaces.
0 Likes