JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung gx-sm530cf no longer displaying cable guide

(Topic created: 01-19-2022 09:31 AM)
Hjdiet01
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I have two Samsung gx-sm530cf smart media boxes. I use them solely as cable boxes with M cable cards from my provider (RCN). The units do not get a lot of use, but as of last November, they were working fine. Just the other day, I turned one of them on and I no longer can get the cable guide. Channels come in fine but when attempting to pull up the guide, I get the message ' the guide is being updated and is not available now - try again later.  RCN says the guide is generated by the box.

I get this on both my boxes - so I factory reset one of them, and going through the setup again, I get the message 'Network Error' when searching for my cable provider (when you put in your zip code). The box is on my Wireless network fine. So is there some site that you go to when searching for the providers that's no longer available?  I'm stuck....  need tech assistance.

Harry Dee
JUMP TO SOLUTION
10 Replies
Hjdiet01
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

True - based on where you live (zipcode) - it will pull up the TV service providers in your area. Around the beginning of the year, Samsung either dropped the service for this TV provider lookup (also needed to get your channel guide) or retired some servers and maybe didn't realize that this service went with it. I have called three times and have e-mailed four times without a response. I have long since recycled my GX-SM530cf... For Samsung to fix this easily, bring back the server (s) temporarily.. copy the code to another place that will stay and modify DNS to point to these servers. Otherwise, they would need to update the firmware to all these nine years old units (of which probably no one at Samsung knows about)...  The bad side of this that these units are still being sold.  Strange.

Very disappointed at Samsung Support. 

Harry Dee