Original topic:

UHD TV with Alexa, it's not able to switch inputs from Fire stick to TV

(Topic created: 6 hours ago)
Tiburon7
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs
I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick plugged into input HDMI2/DVI on my Samsung Smart TV Model # UN40J6200AFXZA.

How can I get Alexa Echo Dot speaker to be able to SWITCH INPUT to "TV" ?

If I manually select the "TV" input as compared to the Fire Stick input on HDMI2/DVI; then, my Alexa Echo Dot can indeed "Switch to input HDMI2/DVI".

BUT, if the Fire TV stick is active on the screen; then, the Alexa Echo Dot cannot switch to input "TV" where I use an antenna for FREE Over-the-Air TV stations.  I do NOT have any kind of Cable TV service.

I also tried turning "ON" the CEC One Touch Play option, but that did not affect switching inputs by voice command.

Thanks for any suggestions!
0 Likes
3 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Aything having to do with Alexa control of a device has to be done through the Alexa app.  See if there is an Alexa skill or routine that will do that.  You would also have to have your TV linked with Alexa, which is probably why it won't switch inputs through the fire stick.  If your TV is a smart TV and Alexa compatible, you should be able to pair it with Alexa.  Go to the Alexa app on your phone, go to devices, click the + and find your device in the list and follow the prompts.

0 Likes
LeoWyatt89
Nebula
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I've seen mods say many times Samsung can't guarantee compatibility with third party devices (Alexa in this instance), I would recommend reaching out to Amazon support for assistance with Alexa related matters. At the end of the day your television is nothing more than a monitor. There wouldn't be a setting on the television that I'm aware that would prevent what you're attempting. 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Samsung is specifically listed as having compatible TVs - whether their specific model, they will just have to go through the process to find out.

0 Likes