JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Attach the Odyssey G9 to a Thunderbolt 3 Port on My Dell Laptop / Alienware

(Topic created: 12-19-2022 10:54 AM)
LindsayE
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have both a mini-display port (USB-c) and a Thunderbolt port on my laptop.  Is it possible to use the Thunderbolt port to speed up the connection with the G9 monitor?

These are the computer ports:  

USB-A                 3x USB 3.2
USB Type-C        1x USB 3.2
Thunderbolt      Thunderbolt 3
HDMI                   1x HDMI 2.1
DisplayPort        1x v1.4

What is the best way to connect the G9 monitor to this computer for the best usage of the monitor's capabilities?

I am not a computer person.  So I need to know what cables I need to buy (if any) and which ports will allow me to use the 250GHZ on the monitor and then if it is possible to use the Thunderbolt 3 port. If not, then what is the next best scenario? 

Thanks much to all the smart computer guys out there!  

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
d_spi
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory
Good afternoon LindsayE, I hope you're doing well.

Since you have the necessary ports for projecting your Desktop on to an External Monitor (HDMI, Thunderbolt, and Displayport) all three of them will do what you're looking to do. I recommend using the mini Display to Display cable for the best video output to your monitor.

After connecting your monitor to your laptop, you'll want to make sure you're viewing at the Monitor's sharpest resolution. To do this. On your desktop right click then select "display settings"> and in "Display resolution"> select your resolution your monitor is capable of.

After doing this you can also change how your laptop projects to your monitor with 4 Display modes. To do this press your windows key and the P key on your keyboard together> this will take you to the project menu, where you can select between Projecting the PC Screen, Dublicating it on to your new monitor, extending your desktop to your monitor (for a wider screen display) or Just projecting to your second display only.

I hope this helps.

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
d_spi
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory
Good afternoon LindsayE, I hope you're doing well.

Since you have the necessary ports for projecting your Desktop on to an External Monitor (HDMI, Thunderbolt, and Displayport) all three of them will do what you're looking to do. I recommend using the mini Display to Display cable for the best video output to your monitor.

After connecting your monitor to your laptop, you'll want to make sure you're viewing at the Monitor's sharpest resolution. To do this. On your desktop right click then select "display settings"> and in "Display resolution"> select your resolution your monitor is capable of.

After doing this you can also change how your laptop projects to your monitor with 4 Display modes. To do this press your windows key and the P key on your keyboard together> this will take you to the project menu, where you can select between Projecting the PC Screen, Dublicating it on to your new monitor, extending your desktop to your monitor (for a wider screen display) or Just projecting to your second display only.

I hope this helps.
LindsayE
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks much, d_spi! 

Would the monitor have a faster response time if connected to the Thunderbolt 3 port??

0 Likes
d_spi
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory
No not necessarily. Displayport is your best choice because it supports higher bandwidth for your video output for your graphics card.
0 Likes