Original topic:

SAMSUNG 860 EVO

(Topic created: 08-20-2023 06:10 AM)
kensam
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have removed my 860 Evo from my old computer and wish to use it as an external drive for my new PC. I formatted same and ran Samsung Data Migration to clone it. It won't run.

In the Boot Bios it shows not as Samsung but rather the name of the SSD  enclosure. In this case SSK.

When I go into Magician whilst it shows the serial number it says "Authorisation required" and Firmware unverified.

Various sites say I can solve the authorisation by running the Cd. Strange thing is though. I do not recall ever having a disk with the SSD.

Advice much appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

USB to SCSI interfaces are not 100%  functional like a direct motherboard SCSI port is to a SCSI SSD.  The word"Crippled" comes to mind.  Not all SCSI functions are going to work.

Cloning is making a duplicate image of one drive to another and is not what you want.  Since you have already formatted the 860 then a data transfer/copy is all you need.

With the 860 in a crippled USB enclosure Magician is not going to play well or be fully functional.  Deal with it.

Various sites are woefully ignorant of what they publish.  Do you believe everything on the Internet is true?

View solution in context

5 Replies
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

USB to SCSI interfaces are not 100%  functional like a direct motherboard SCSI port is to a SCSI SSD.  The word"Crippled" comes to mind.  Not all SCSI functions are going to work.

Cloning is making a duplicate image of one drive to another and is not what you want.  Since you have already formatted the 860 then a data transfer/copy is all you need.

With the 860 in a crippled USB enclosure Magician is not going to play well or be fully functional.  Deal with it.

Various sites are woefully ignorant of what they publish.  Do you believe everything on the Internet is true?

kensam
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Your response is about as helpful as a chocolate coffee pot.

If you can't be constructive why bother?

0 Likes
Voxxx
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
The issue, I believe, has to do with your bios of your machine lacking the firmware to recognize the ssd. I have been having the same issue with a 980 pro. But im not 100%
0 Likes
kensam
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks for your reply. The BIOS recognizes the drive with the name of the enclosure instead of Samsung Evo. When I open the drive all I can see is my photos and such. Looking at the total amount of space used it is similar to the source drive. Therefore W11 has also been copied. 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

That's funny  as I actually do  make chocolate coffee in my Keurig.:)

There actually was some helpful info hidden in the snark.

Enjoy your cloned W11 drive.

0 Likes