Original topic:

T5 SSD Very Slow

(Topic created: 06-14-2019 05:26 PM)
userpXT2AZpC15
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I purchased a T5 portable SSD drive (500MB) awhile back from Amazon but only recently started using it.

From a MacBook Pro, I was copying files to several SSD drives, including a T1 and a WD Passport, and I noticed the T5 was several times slower than the other drives. I downloaded the BlackMagic Disk Speed Test app, and noticed I was getting read and write speeds on this drive that were right around 40 MB/s. Testing the other drives, including the internal SSD, I was getting speeds more in the 200-300 MB/s range. I reformatted the drive using JHFS+ but it made no difference.

I then took the drive to a Windows machine and reformatted it using NTFS. Using AS SSD Benchmark, I am seeing read and write speeds on the drive between 20-25 MB/s. Again, other SSD drives are showing between 200-300 MB/s.

I am thinking that maybe it's the cable. Can I use any USB-C to USB-A cable as a replacement?

I am really disgusted with this since the drive is obviously defective and it is too late to get my money back.

Bruce

0 Likes
11 Replies
Solution
Options
Monitors and Memory
Hi userpXT2AZpC15,

The drive you have may be defective, replacing the cable might be a good idea to see if it makes a difference, however have you contacted Samsung's technical support? These drives typically carry a long warranty and you should be able to start a warranty ticket with them if you try giving them a call.
userUPJy40NrvF
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same here!!! I upgraded from 500 ssd WD and  bought T5 1T. 
I'm using as external hard drive for my virtual instruments,
it took 7minutes to upload one of my VST.. 
I changed the cable too but it's the same..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

It is a defect drive.  I experienced same issue.  Around 40MB/s read/write NTFS.   I bought it specifically for my son's Xbox One X but the Xbox kept saying it was too slow for games.  Exchanged it for a new one and boom 400+MB's and xbox worked perfectly.   

0 Likes
useryftGkXLEZZ
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had the same problem. replaced the cable and the problem was solved.

0 Likes
userXkynWfHoV1
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I was backing up with Acronis from an EVO SSD and was only getting 42MB/s wite speeds. I used the USB-C to USB-C cable for this backup. Updated Acronis SW and same issue. Used the USB3.0 to USB-C connector on drive and I got good write speeds of 450+MB/s. So my problem was something between the USB-C to USB-C connection on my PC. Works fine with the other USB3.0 to USB-C cable.

0 Likes
Samsung_94V1FUE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Sloved. I just got same isssue with you. When I am trying to use the 3rd party usbc lines for my computer to editing, it is extremly slow like 45-50MB/S, but when I switch back to organial cables, the speed boost to 500MB/S, what a intersting story.

0 Likes
Samsung_94V1FUE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Sloved. I just got same isssue with you. When I am trying to use the 3rd party usbc lines for my computer to editing, it is extremly slow like 45-50MB/S, but when I switch back to organial cables, the speed boost to 500MB/S, what a intersting story.

0 Likes
user4ifQUV9pDy
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I know this is old but just ran into this. It's actually not a defective drive (most likely). It is the cable cables in the 2m length range will slow down to USB 2 speed (480 mb/s). If you are using an Apple USB charge cable it even mentions this here (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208368) at the bottom. I tried a USB 3 to USB C (plugged into a USB C adapter) and speeds went back up to around 500 mb/s from the 40 mb/s i was getting originally. Just food for thought.

usermj1tgDBMT1
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having the same issue with my Samsung T5 500GB ssd. I am using the usb-c cable that comes with the ssd. However, I have macbook pro early 2012 which have 2 USB 3.0 ports.

The port on the left side only gives out 500ma, and it gives T5 only 480Mb/s.

The port on the right side show proper speed 5Gb/s.

Interestingly, I am using the same cable, but it shows different results for each port. So I thought the port on the left might have a power issue. Then I plug in my USB thubdrive on the left port, and it gives 900+ma power, the same as the port on the right.  This totally puzzle me.Left USB3.0 port with Samsung T5Left USB3.0 port with Samsung T5Right USB3.0 port with Samsung T5Right USB3.0 port with Samsung T5Left USB3.0 port with ThumbdriveLeft USB3.0 port with Thumbdrive

0 Likes