JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Unable To Update 980 Pro Firmware to 5B2QGXA7 With Magician 7.2.1

(Topic created: 02-01-2023 01:30 AM)
Big_Friendly
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have a 980 Pro 2TB SSD with Heat Sink.  It has firmware 4B2QGXA7.  Magician says update firmware to 5B2QGXA7.  When doing the Firmware Update it says wait 20 seconds then fails.  It says "Failed to update firmware on the selected drive."

I am running Windows 11 Pro 22H2 on an Intel NUC11TNBi7 i7 1165G7 with 64GB Ram.

All Software on the NUC is up to date using the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

What is going on here?

22 Replies
superdeleted
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

mine has been this way for months and I havent been able to find a solution that works for me. I'm stuck on the 3B2QGXA7 firmware which I just read has a known issue that could cause an early death to my SSD if I dont get it updated. So Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. It fails every single time 

Big_Friendly
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

These are the Error Messages from the Samsung Magician Service log:

ERROR SILCommands SNTSecurityProtocolOut::_SendMagicianCMD_Send305 DataOut failed, err: 3
ERROR SILN00 SILDevFWUpdateInbox::Execute 48 NVMe command exception, code: -1, err: 5, system err: 5
ERROR BMBFWU BMBFWU::UpdateFirmware 60 FW Download Failed : 2
ERROR FWUM FWUpdateManager::DownloadFirmware 304 Failed to update the firmware

I tried Zt3Ph3N's suggestion and repeated the Magician Update procedure 4 times to no effect.

Too bad a Samsung Tech doesn't have time to check this common problem.  This is going to negatively affect sales of the 980 Pro and the 990 Pro.  Especially because you pay a premium for a "better quality, more reliable" product.

* Posting these Samung Errors gives an HTML error where it appears to delete a few keystroke.

0 Likes
Big_Friendly
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

MikeMeinz:

Good troubleshooting!

Please post what you have discovered on this thread.  Is there a work-around?

0 Likes
MikeMeinz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

The website is blocking me from posting details of my finding. I'll attempt to describe it without showing HTML. 

On the page that Magician uses to download new firmware (www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html ) in the section for the 5B2QGXA7 firmware, the "data-an-la tag" contains the value: "Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_4B2QGXA7.iso"
It should contain the value: "Samsung_SSD_980_PRO_5B2QGXA7.iso".  This download page is a different download page from the one found via samsung.com menu navigation.

No workaround!

0 Likes
seantan
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello, I just noticed there is a potential 0E problem for some Samsung SSD. Therefore, I would like to update my ssd's firmware. I bought this 1TB 980 in Nov 22. I use it on my Win10 laptop and like to update firmware from 2B4QFXO7 to 3B4QFXO7. However, the 7.2.1 Magician just won't let me do so. It gives me a "Failed to update firmware on the selected drive" message. (I am definitely not on RAID & Run it as admin)

Are there any other things I could do to make it work? Just don't want to go through the ISO thing since it's too complicated. 

Matti S
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I found maybe related problem with FW update when more than one Samsung NVMe SSD 980 PRO are installed.
First time noted soon after assembly 2022-07-31 and after update of the Magician yesterday 2023-02-03 the problem is still there. Please read carefully the description below.

Samsung Magician informs about update for NVMe SSD 980 PRO firmware. First NVMe updated well to the new firmware but for the second 980 PRO it makes the update as desired, but it does not the update and claims that there is an update, so the update failed. An other start of the PC after each update trial was done. And the information comes always again and again "Samsung Magician, a firmware is availeble". Please addwise how to proceed.

Anyhow both 980 PROs seem to work well as a standard NTSF formatted drive. But I'm concerned about the older FW which is told to damage the 980 devise.

Samsung magician finds both drives and notifies that there is a FW update available, but updating FW of the second 980 PRO fails. I think that the update will go always to othe first one, please check this.

My computer ASUS PRIME Z690-A LGA 1700 has 4pcs built in NVMe slots of which 2 firsts are equipped
Two first drives C: and 😧 are of Samsung types 980 PRO SSD 1 Tt M.2 w. ASUS Heatsink on MB
Processor Intel 12th gen Core i7-12700 with UHD Graphics 770
Microsoft Windows 10 PRO 64bit ver: 10.0.19044
RAM memory Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 5200 MHz CL40 2x16 GB

Other, performance differences:
FW 5B2QGXA7:
Sequential Read Sequential Write Random Read Random Write
6925 MB/s 5167 MB/s 1072265 IOPS 517822 IOPS
FW 3B2QGXA7:
Sequential Read Sequential Write Random Read Random Write
7042 MB/s 5168 MB/s 869873 IOPS 498291 IOPS

Matti S
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

The smiley in previous message seem to bee converted fase as tag, but it is pure text and should have the meaning DRIVE D

0 Likes
MikeMeinz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Please look in the Samsung Magician Service log SMSVC_*.log ( found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Samsung Magician\Log). 

I get the following error when trying to do the 5B2QGXA7  firmware update:

ERROR SILCommands NVMeInboxFwUpdate::DownloadFW 54 DownloadFW failed, err: 3

I wonder if you get the same error.

0 Likes
Zt3Ph3N
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue updating my Samsung SSD 980 Pro 500GB from 4B2QGXA7 to 5B2QGXA7.