JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Messages app disappeared after One UI 6.0 upgrade on Galaxy A54 5G

(Topic created: 12-12-2023 11:12 PM)
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Loving the One UI 6 so far but I can't find Google Messages anywhere on my A54 5G phone.

I still receive text messages and it comes in through Google Messages. Play Store tells me the app is sitting pretty somewhere on my phone. I've even done 2 updates to the app through play store. However, the app isn't present on the icon tray and through my search function.

Pretty weird experience. I hope I'm not the only one having this issue 😅. The more the merrier, right?

Please help... 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Okay so I found the fix and I feel so dumb about it.

I went to the app drawer, next to the search bar and clicked on the three dots. Then settings, then "hide apps on home and apps screen"... this my mystery app was hidden all along. 🤣

Anyway, it's all good now. Thanks for all your contributions and assistance.

View solution in context

12 Replies
TechCat
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Mine is still on my home screen. I have an A54, too. Must be a glitch. I've experienced a similar glitch on another phone after a software update. After trying just about everything (and asking others for help)to no avail, I had to factory reset my phone, and it worked.

It was a chore setting everything up again. I would try a little longer to fix it by other means, but my last resort solution is a possibility for you. Hope this may help.
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Oh man... a whole factory reset just to get back the icon? Luckily, I had it on my edge panel so it's still there but it's so weird that if I search for the app, it doesn't show up.

Doing a factory reset will be the last resort like you advised. Also waiting on the next security update. Hopefully, it flushes the app out of its hiding spot.

kerryr
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Facebook Messenger disappeared and I can't get it back on my home page or back in my favorites bar at the bottom.
0 Likes
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

So sorry... same issue I'm having with the Google messages app. Hopefully, we find a fix soon on this thread.

0 Likes
CatrinaWhitewolf
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Swipe left and you will find Google messages hidden on the side bar. To add it to your home screen, open the Google app. You should see Google messages there. If not, search and add Google messages to that app. When done, press and add to your home screen.
0 Likes
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Hi, thanks for your message.

It's left me with way more questions though.

When you say swipe left... do you mean to my Google Discover page or my edge panel? The app is on my edge panel because I added it there before the upgrade yet I can't find it anywhere else on the phone... including through the general search. 

Also, what do you mean by adding it to Google app? The Google app shows basically the same thing as my Google Discover. Is there a way to add apps to it? How? And I still  can't see my mystery app on there.

I'm very confused now

0 Likes
CatrinaWhitewolf
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Sorry...I meant the edge panel. Open the Google icon on your phone that has your maps, drive, photos, etc., icons within it. If you do not see your Google message icon there, press the add option, +, it will take you to your apps. You will find your Google message app there. Add it. It will show up in your Google collection. Then press the message icon and add to your home page or wherever you prefer.
0 Likes
LSea
Asteroid
Options
Other Mobile Devices

1000093912.jpg

 there's no google messages. Searching the phone doesn't indicate the app is even installed but it's right there on my edge panel. It's my default messaging app so it's very active. I've even had it updated from play store. 

0 Likes
CatrinaWhitewolf
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices
Ok yes... Google messages are hidden. You will have to bring them out of hiding with this fix. Do you have 2 Google icons on your phone? One that takes you directly to Google discover. The other has google apps within it. See my screenshot. Open that one. See the +, press that. It will take you to a listing. Your Google messages is hidden in there. Find it, mark the circle and it will bring the app to that icon. Then you press that Google messages icon and put it on your homescreen. 1703886844490_1703886844486_0.jpg
0 Likes