Original topic:

How to Turn off auto-detect HDMI

(Topic created: 10-16-2017 06:12 PM)
CNMark
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

How do you turn off the auto-detect HDMI feature? Sometimes my Apple TV comes on and then the TV automatically turns on as well but I don't want the TV to do so. How do you turn off this feature?

Thanks,

Mark

536 Replies
SadRobot
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Is this to address the original problem where the TV switched inputs when a source was turned on, or the new problem where turning on the TV also turns on the source it was set to when it was turned off?

0 Likes
userQVSrQRLWGE
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

In disbelief, this actually seems to have solved the stupid automatic switching

@useroWjpiSgU61 wrote:

This is the solution for the HDMI auto-detect

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

1.      Make sure TV is updated to latest firmware version
2.      Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote
3.     Using IR Remote: Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit 
4.     Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down  + Mute 

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

Thanks for sharing, shame Samsung couldn't 

0 Likes
userBSOmGEtDS0
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Can confirm that using the IR Remote and pressing Mute + 7 + 2 + 9 + Exit (one at a time, not together) worked for me. I noticed a very small black rectangle with some tiny white writing in the middle of the screen when I did this. It was only there for a split second though. Couldn't read it. I've turned Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) back on, and there is NO auto switching via HDMI. 🙂

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to know how you found out. 

0 Likes
Alanw47
Cosmic Ray
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Me too it would seem.  24 hours after this wonderful 'fix' and everything is as I would like it to be.  Thank you so much for posting this.  Would love to know how you found about it, but it certainly seems to work in the UK too.

0 Likes
Alanw47
Cosmic Ray
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

@userQVSrQRLWGE wrote:

@useroWjpiSgU61 wrote:

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

The HDMI Auto Detect feature can be turned off on Samsung 2016/2017 TVs using the remote control by pressing a certain key sequence (either IR or Bluetooth remote works).

2.      Switch TV to TV source – HDMI may not work with BT Smart remotes. TV source works with either remote

PLEASE NOTE: TV does not display any messages after you press the above key combination. This function is a toggle. So if you want to turn HDMI Auto Detect on again, press the same key sequence.

Not just a case of Samsung not sharing, they specifically told me that it is a feature that cannot be turned off.

rknox
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs
Alanw47 wrote:
@userQVSrQRLWGE wrote:

@useroWjpiSgU61 wrote:

HDMI AUTO DETECT TOGGLE

Not just a case of Samsung not sharing, they specifically told me that it is a feature that cannot be turned off.

Incredibly this does work.  My problem was with my HTPC connection - custom settings and renaming associated with the hdmi input was hopeless as everything would reset back to “PC” whenever the TV was turned on again (see my post 3-12-17).   SamsungCole (on 6-21-17) had insisted this was a different issue that was not going to be addressed.  I had always suspected it was just a special case of the Samsung wanting to switch / reset inputs.   I tried the key sequence this morning and now my custom naming and custom input settings return as I cycle power and/or switch back and forth between other input devices!  

Hard to believe that Samsung would intentionally choose not to provide this information, which leaves you with the impression that this is a big internal with little or no serious attention being paid to customer issues.   useroWjpiSgU61,  it would be really interesting to know how you came upon this information! 

0 Likes
bobad
Halo
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down  + Mute 

Does "Smart Control" refer to the skinny little BlueTooth remote with no number pad on it?

Are the buttons held down simultaneously as on a computer, or pressed 1 at a time? 

Does it really work for anyone? When I press mute, vol. down and channel down, all I get is mute, volume down, and channel down.  

Thanks,,,

0 Likes
rknox
Asteroid
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

@bobad wrote:

. Using Smart Control: Mute + Vol Down + Ch Down  + Mute 

Does "Smart Control" refer to the skinny little BlueTooth remote with no number pad on it?

Are the buttons held down simultaneously as on a computer, or pressed 1 at a time? 

Does it really work for anyone? When I press mute, vol. down and channel down, all I get is mute, volume down, and channel down.  

Thanks,,,

Yes,  smart control is the one without the numbers.  If you have it, you can't use the alternative number sequence in the post Man Happy.  It was also recommended that you turn to "TV Source", i.e the TV tuner when executing the key sequence.   Make sure you press all 4 keys mute, vol down, chan down, mute.  Worked for me!  My post above was redacted - nonetheless it was hard to believe ...  Still love to know if this switch has always been there, if it was added, why no one at Samsung seems to know about it etc.

0 Likes
user7NTgieO627
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Amazingly, this continues to be a solution for the TU-8000, a 2020 model.  However, all of this still has a bit of a rubber-bands-and-zip-ties feel to it.  There are times when, if things don't all get turned on in the right order, or I start Nteflix under Chrome (which apprently is tweaking the picture) the TV still goes to "no signal" mode. 

0 Likes
Alanw47
Cosmic Ray
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

@usermMTTWjWS50 wrote:

So I received a "solution" from Samsung.  I currently have all external devices (ps4, blu ray, comcast box) connected via hdmi into my receiver, with one single hdmi going out from receiver to the Samsung TV.  I get the "no signal" message about every 10 mins.  I was told to not have the hdmi from the external devices going into the receiver.  The Samsung rep recommended that I wire hdmi directly from source to the TV, with the audio signal from the device plugged into the receiver.  I was told that this would fix the issue.  Can anyone confirm if this is true or has tried this.  

I really don't think that this is the solution

a). I bought an HDMI switch BECAUSE my devices were connected direct to the TV and

b). Samsung CS have informed me quite bluntly that this is a 'feature, not a fault' and that it cannot be turned off or changed.

samsung are just burying their heads in the sand and refusing to acknowledge that they have screwed up.  They should either release a firmware patch pronto, or bite the bullet and teplace our TVs with replacements that don't do this, pretty much like their disastrous combustible phones