JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't get rid of soap opera effect on 55'' Q70B (QE55Q70BATXZT).

(Topic created: 06-12-2023 01:55 AM)
faxtolder
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Hi everybody, yesterday I bought a 55'' Q70B television (QE55Q70BATXZT).

I'm pretty good with Samsung settings as I had several Samsung smart tv's in the last 10 years.

I immediately went into settings and fully disabled the Picture Clarity option (formely know as Auto Motion Plus), in order to get rid of the infamous soap opera effect.

It worked fine when I see at Sky TV through my satellite decoder connected via HDMI, but incredibly it is not working at all when I see Netflix or Apple TV through the apps installed on the tv!

I tried thousands of settings combinations but nothing changes: soap opera effect off when I see Sky TV, back on again when I see Netflix or Apple TV...

I managed to get rid of it completely ONLY if I choose Movie or Filmmaker modes (or Gaming mode, which turns picture quality to rubbish).

But the further problem is that when I see something in Movie or Filmmaker modes, the colors palette is incredibly yellowish, extremely warm: everything which should be white turns to an awful yellow-brown and all movies seem to be played at sunset...

No matter if I enter the advanced options for Movie or Filmmaker modes and change all color settings to get a more balanced and cold color palette: once I enter Netflix and Apple TV the homepages look fine, but when the content starts, everything then becomes very yellowish!

I cannot believe I have to choose between no soap opera effect but too warm palette, or good palette with soap opera effect... This has never happened in years of Samsung TV's I owned, and I'm reading here on the board that several other QLED users are experiencing the same problem lately and somebody is planning to return their device...

It is clearly just a software / firmware problem, it is not the hardware, so please fix it with an update, or any other tip you might have for me would be highly appreciated, thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
faxtolder
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Hi, don't worry, I manage to fix the issue in the meantime (sorry for not having posted the solution here sooner).

What happens is that all Samsung TV's have a different range of settings between "standard" viewing and HDR / HDR 10+ viewing.

When you change your video settings while viewing for example normal TV channels or Sky satellite TV, you are only acting on the standard set of settings.

But when you enter Netflix or Apple TV or Disney and the likes, you are entering a HDR / HDR 10+ environment, hence all the previous settings are ignored and you'll need to set everything up again (which makes sense, as HDR requires different video setting than standard feeds).

So what you need to do is entering Netflix / Apple / Disney, play a content which you are sure is HDR / HDR 10+, enter the video settings and disable the soap opera effect and all the .

IMPORTANT: in order to do this right, you don't have to leave the HDR environment! So you don't have to enter into video settings by pressing the Home button on the remote, as by doing so you will leave the HDR image and enter the Samsung Hub which is not HDR, hence you will only have access to the standard video settings. You have to enter the settings page by pressing the small 123 button at the top left of the remote: by doing in this way you will still remain into the HDR image of Netflix / Apple / Disney, and you will be able to act on the settings that will then be applied everytime you watch a HDR content (including disabling the soap opera effect, the yellowish image of Filmaker mode and so on).

After having done this once, everytime you'll watch something in HDR, it will look as you like.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context

4 Replies
ReneezSammie23
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs
I hope I can answer this for you. There's a couple of workarounds, first do you have the Samsung TV plus app on your phone, if so you may have it linked to your TV as I do and I have it set to remember last app which could also be set to remember last settings as well. Also if you have any of the individual streaming services, such as I do, also on your phone and /Or if you have a 2nd smart TV that's on the same home Network Bandwidth and have either not changed the picture settings on those and you are going from say bedroom TV to Family room TV I'd suggest making sure that (if you're signed into the same Samsung account on more than one) That you sign out of all, then "forget network" or just remove your network from each, then start with the TV you're using the most and set it up like you did in the very beginning and then do the same to the next. I hope I explained my thoughts and the processes. Good luck 🤞
0 Likes
faxtolder
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Hi, thanks for your answer!

I don't have either a second smart TV or the streaming apps also on my mobile.

I have a Samsung app on my mobile thou, connected to the TV, but it is not called Samsung TV Plus (maybe that's not available here in Italy), it is called Smart Things, but I cannot find any "remember last setting" in it...

0 Likes
bbcreid
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I have the exact same problem, I’m going to return mine if I can’t get rid of that horrible effect.

0 Likes
Solution
faxtolder
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Hi, don't worry, I manage to fix the issue in the meantime (sorry for not having posted the solution here sooner).

What happens is that all Samsung TV's have a different range of settings between "standard" viewing and HDR / HDR 10+ viewing.

When you change your video settings while viewing for example normal TV channels or Sky satellite TV, you are only acting on the standard set of settings.

But when you enter Netflix or Apple TV or Disney and the likes, you are entering a HDR / HDR 10+ environment, hence all the previous settings are ignored and you'll need to set everything up again (which makes sense, as HDR requires different video setting than standard feeds).

So what you need to do is entering Netflix / Apple / Disney, play a content which you are sure is HDR / HDR 10+, enter the video settings and disable the soap opera effect and all the .

IMPORTANT: in order to do this right, you don't have to leave the HDR environment! So you don't have to enter into video settings by pressing the Home button on the remote, as by doing so you will leave the HDR image and enter the Samsung Hub which is not HDR, hence you will only have access to the standard video settings. You have to enter the settings page by pressing the small 123 button at the top left of the remote: by doing in this way you will still remain into the HDR image of Netflix / Apple / Disney, and you will be able to act on the settings that will then be applied everytime you watch a HDR content (including disabling the soap opera effect, the yellowish image of Filmaker mode and so on).

After having done this once, everytime you'll watch something in HDR, it will look as you like.

Hope this helps!