JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How can I find auto restart in settings running One UI 5?

(Topic created: 01-10-2023 05:55 PM)
_Ash_
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Where do I find the auto restart in settings.

Everything changed after one ui 5 

98 Replies
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
It is gone in Android 13 and is done automatically when necessary. There is no work around I know of, I even tried making a Bixby routine but there is no way to restart the phone with a routine.
0 Likes
user8Nb0RPZ4Xh
Asteroid
Options
Thanks... that's also what I have found.
Absolute necessity in my case.
ftp
AND... my "restart when needed" has NEVER done a restart! After a couple of months although I KNOW it HAS needed it!!!
FTP!!!!!!!
diva63
Astronaut
Options
Appears to be non existent since Samsung pushed an update last month on galaxy 22
user8Nb0RPZ4Xh
Asteroid
Options
Any way i can go BACK to 12?
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options

I still agree that the option should be there and up to the user -- if there is some security reason for eliminating this function, make the issue known so users can make an informed choice. I do know that mine restarted itself when it needed it under Android 13, because that was when I learned that the restart would prevent my preferred alarm clock from working. I am curious, though. What is the nature of this "absolute necessity" for a daily restart? I have not experienced any issues since I disable the auto restart, and I do not restart even weekly.

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options

By now most of us are aware that Android 13/OneUI 5 included a change from a scheduled device restart option to a "when the phone thinks it is needed" restart option. I was fine with this change until this morning.

Using a third-party alarm clock app (AMDroid) set with gentle and gradually increasing music failed after my phone restarted itself last night. Instead of my usual gentle music, I woke to the jarring sound of what my phone thinks is the default alarm sound (Homecoming) with edge lighting and no dismiss button. I had to unlock my phone using my pattern and navigate into the AMDroid app to find a stop option. Wide awake. I later tested and confirmed this behavior by setting an alarm and manually restarting my phone. This was never an issue for me with a scheduled restart early on Sunday morning, but restarting on early Wednesday morning was a deal breaker. 

I then tested with another third-party alarm app (Smart Alarm) and it would not sound the alarm at all after restarting but not unlocking the phone.

Google clock works and I think Samsung clock works (sounds alarm without unlock after restart) but neither of these has the additional features and widgets that prompted the use of the other apps in the first place. 

I am left choosing between the benefit of unscheduled automatic restart and use of my preferred alarm app. I am hoping for any suggestions to make AMDroid work normally after the restart, or at least to change the system default alarm app to something tolerable.

Dan
ButtaBean_420
Black Hole
Options
Numerous others including myself have complained about this starting when it was changed during the beta I'll say it again SAMSUNG WE WANT TO SCHEDULE OUR OWN RESTART NOT WHEN THE PHONE DECIDES IT WANTS TO
requa
Comet
Options

I'm not disagreeing with the preference for scheduled restarts, but I've also seen posts suggesting underlying security reasons for this change. However, this particular thread was not about wanting scheduled restarts back -- it's about dealing with the ancillary impact on alarm clocks.

Thanks

Dan
0 Likes
MarvinX
Comet
Options
I don't have that problem.
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options

@MarvinX I'm glad you're not impacted but I'm not sure why. Is it because you are using Google Clock instead of a third-party app like the ones I prefer? Or is a third-party alarm working properly after a device restart for you? (If so, please share your secret.) Or are you fortunate enough not to need to wake to an alarm clock at all?

Dan
0 Likes