JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Messages app crashing

(Topic created: 05-29-2024 06:18 AM)
Papyrus16
Pilot
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

My Samsung Messages app keeps closing. I've restarted my phone multiple times. I've gone to Settings > App Settings > Messages > Storage and hit Clear cache and Clear data. When I do this, the space used for cache and data go down to 0, but then immediately go back up to the original storage amounts when I reopen Messages.

I found a previous conversation about Messages crashing in Dec 2023 and tried following the instructions but when I held down the power button and volume up with the phone turned off, the phone restarted as normal, even though I held them down until after the Samsung logo disappeared.

If I can't fix it, can I install a different app for

My Google storage is 94% full. Could that be connected?

2,577 Replies
blissman
Constellation
Options
Thank you very much. Worked like magic lol
0 Likes
fishybowler
Constellation
Options
Disable Google meets also worked for me
0 Likes
dbhamel1
Constellation
Options

Just did the same thing and worked like a charm to fix the messages issue.  Never used or planned on using Google Meets anyway.

mmilliken
Constellation
Options

It worked!!! Thank you SO MUCH!!! 

Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options

Hello everyone, Thank you all for reaching out regarding the Samsung Messages app crashing. We have been notified that Samsung is aware of the concern and is working towards resolving the matter.

At this time, it is recommended to force stop the Google Meet app. Once the app is stopped, either disable the app or uninstall any updates. 

① Settings > Apps > search ‘Meet’ > tap Force stop
② Settings > Apps > search ‘Meet’ > More options(⁝) > tap ‘Uninstall updates’
Users can also change the default messaging app from Samsung Message to Google Messages. Navigate to and open Settings, tap Apps, and then tap Choose default apps. Tap SMS app, and then select your desired message app.
Change the default messaging app on your Galaxy phone​: ​https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00090222/  

If you continue to experience the app crash, try clearing the app cache. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077611/

**Update** Google has issued an update for the Meet app. Please check to be sure all apps are fully updated.

kimberwoo0397
Constellation
Options

Thank you, disabled and force stopped Google Meet worked on my end! Yay!!!

Fierce19
Constellation
Options

Did you lose your past messages when you did it?

0 Likes
MellyDee
Constellation
Options

Nope. And it worked for me!

0 Likes
Pspsps22
Asteroid
Options

Thank you so much.  It worked.

0 Likes
AnnieD
Constellation
Options

Thank you!!! Disableling Google Meet works! 

0 Likes