Original topic:

Microphone option in settings to choose "default microphone" on a Bluetooth headset

(Topic created: a week ago)
user53pKKsED1z
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

When I buy a Bluetooth headset And I don't like it in calls because it has bad quality I cannot change the default microphone So we have to have an option or setting to choose the default microphone just like on computer

21 Replies
Christ0pher
Asteroid
Options
Ok, so this has expanded quite a bit from my initial comment but if I managed to catch up correctly you're saying you're not able to use your bluetooth headset microphone to interact with Google Assistant / chatgpt?

For experimentation, I went and found the cheapest headset that I have with me which is a soundcore life q20, and even with this headset, I can:
- go to another room
- hold down the play/pause button
- speak to Google Gemini

At will, without issue, all while completely isolated from, and not using the phones internal microphone.

Now if you're trying to use *multiple* devices that could potentially all have speakers and microphones. You _might_ be out of luck, and the only saving grace may be to select the Bluetooth device type in the options of the paired device.

This feature doesn't appear to have much utility on *my* devices, but in theory it's supposed to allow you to treat a headset as a simpler speaker (I. E. with no microphone) and that might enable what you're trying to do, if you're using more than one device.

Android as an operating system is fundamentally capable of using multiple audio recording and playback devices like any modern operating system - but that doesn't guarantee support for it or the capability being exposed by default from Samsung. It's possible that an app (or framework such as eXposed, or the non-root variant LSposed may afford the per-device *and* per-app customization you require.)

If you (or a developer friend on XDA or another platform) are feeling adventurous, ask around it or search fit for these features in the contexts of: adb / root / full custom ROMs. In something like the level of severity and involvement (and inherent risk to warranty) implied.

While it's not for everyone, it's rewarding to dive into, you'd be surprised what building something for yourself might also do for the benefit of others.

I have some use cases where I also want to choose which microphone is being used for recording, which is how I came across your post. Personally, I have not developed Android from source in 10 years, and will likely pursue the LSposed / Shizuku non-rooted route for the time being unless it proves to be insufficient. I would recommend you to do the same while in tandem submitting a feature request to Samsung, to enable what you require.
0 Likes
Christ0pher
Asteroid
Options
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. A good example would be the "Dolby On" application, and the fact that:

While Google Assistant or other applications can use the Bluetooth headset microphone, the Dolby application absolutely *will not*. Instead, it forces itself to use the built-in microphone of the phone, period. Further, it doesn't specify it'll use the camera microphone(s) at the back, the top, or the bottom microphone(s), sometimes it changes at random.

What this does illustrate, however, is that while using an HD-Audio certified headset, the possibility exists at the application level to select a microphone preferentially, without any artificial limitations. Thus, @user53pKKsED1z isn't making an unreasonable request. Further, he is not benefiting from your dismissive standpoint or incorrect knowledge and assumptions about the phone operating system nor the phone hardware and its actual capabilities. I'm at a loss to why anyone knowingly provides answers outside of their purview without at least including a caveat to qualify the level of accuracy.
0 Likes