JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung SmartTag 2 battery draining

(Topic created: 11-25-2023 03:09 PM)
Artray
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
I thought I bought a bad pack of 4 Smarttags 2 so I returned them and got another pack of 4. Needless to say I had another battery drain in 15 days.
I bought a pack of 4 Smarttags 2 and I put a black tag on my puppy. In 15 days that one completely drained and I had another black tag on my headphones and the white tags on my car and car key, which would make the noise as though it was draining but they were fine, so I switched the black tags and one again, in about 15 days the battery on my puppy died on a different tag. I returned that pack and got a new pack but once again, the one on my puppy died in about 15 days. I put the first SmartTag in my puppy and haven't had an issue. 
Is there any update for the SmartTag 2 to help the battery drain?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options

Hi all, thanks for reaching out about this. I can understand the frustration with not getting more battery life out of your SmartTag2s. 
First thing to make sure of is to monitor your usage of the Tags themselves, as increased usage 1-2 times daily will obviously not make it last its absolute best. In a similar manner, when attached to pets such as dogs, there is a chance they are pressing the button, which will make the battery drain faster than normal as well, since it is being used. 
If you wish to extend the period of use, you can try using the SmartThings app to turn on power-saving mode, which gives the SmartTag2 even longer on-time.
If even this is not helpful, and the battery life is not consistent with the usage, you can try a reset of the SmartTag2. Use this guide for steps: https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/how-to-reset-the-samsung-smarttag/
If the troubleshooting is not helpful, and you have tried newer batteries for it after this, the device will need to be evaluated by a certified technician. You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For service outside of the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

View solution in context

19 Replies
Options
Are you purchasing these smarttags from Samsung or a 3rd party? (Just curious) I have the smarttag 2, but I haven't used it much, I'm planning on putting it on the pooch, but now I'm hesitant
420kid6
Cosmic Ray
Options
Use the white smarttags so the battery doesn't drain
Molnar
Constellation
Options

That's NOT TRUE, I bought a pack of four and I have one of them with the battery draining problem and is WHITE. So please, lets no talk with out real knowledge.

Artray
Asteroid
Options
I purchased through Amazon, but these did just come out, a month ago.
As for the color, I was having similar issues, but no battery drain, with the white ones. However ,I didn't try the white ones on my puppy, but I would not see a difference in the color of a case, when the mechanics are all the same inside.
But my old 1st Gen SmartTag is doing great.
0 Likes
Options
That's so odd because I bought through amazon as well. I'm going to experiment with mine to see if it has the same battery drain. But if anything, just use the old ones for now until an update (who knows when) will come out. I'm gonna follow you and I'll tell you if anything comes up!
EthanHunt
Cosmic Ray
Options
So I just received my first ever smart tag 2 this morning through Amazon. I tracked it once and then also modified the ringtone. Placed it on my keys in my house. It's now less than twelve hours later, and just received notification that the battery is critically low. This is outrageous! I'll swap the battery once. If it happens again in a short time, it's getting returned for sure. Ridiculous...
userGJKyHXDtqy
Constellation
Options
I'm having the same issue I bought the 4 pack. I put one in luggage bag since I travel alot for work and put it in power saving mood and it died way before the one on my keys.
karver
Constellation
Options
Same issue here. After one week battery shows low.
Nhawk
Cosmic Ray
Options

First one lasted about 2-3 weeks, the second lasted a month.  Confirmed that the battery is low by checking voltage...it's down to 2.8V