JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't tell S-Pen apart . Tab S7+ vs Tab S9 Ultra

(Topic created: 11-01-2023 09:31 PM)
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

My Tab S7+ had a cracked screen that wasn't worth replacing at $400 cost. I bought a new Tab S9 Ultra, and migrated the apps.

During the transfer, the two S Pens got shuffled around on my counter. Now I don't know which pen is which. They each work with both tablets. I think the new S Pen supposedly has lower latency, but I can't humanly detect a difference when using Samsung notes. Is there any way to identify the model number of each S Pen, preferably in software ?

They physically look almost identical except one has the "Samsung" name engraved near the top, and the other does not.

The reason I care is that I want to sell the old broken tablet, and would rather not sell it with the new pen.

Edit: I read about the "new" two-way charging feature of the S Pen in the Tab S9 Ultra. Turns out both pens work with two-way charging in the Tab S9 Ultra. Samsung must have added a second coil to the tablet, and left the charging design part of the S Pen unchanged. So, that feature doesn't help differentiate the S pens, only helps differentiate the tablets, but it's pretty obvious which tablet is which, unlike the pens.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I finally figured it out. I put both tablets in sleep mode, by pressing the power button once on each.

I then took out the pen from my Tab S7+ case, and pressed its button. It woke up the Tab S9 Ultra screen ! I then took out the pen from the Tab S9 Ultra case, and pressed its button. It woke up the Tab S7+.

I now know which pen belongs to which tablet.

View solution in context

6 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets
The one with "Samsung" near the top is likely the newer one.
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Thanks.

Do you own either tablet ?

FYI I did an ebay search for Tab S Pen, and found the following image in a listing for a pair of Tab S7+ S Pens. They both have "Samsung" engraved. But there is additional "China" marking that is not there on either of my S Pens.

s-l1600

This was the Ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256010233212?hash=item3b9b66257c:g:6lMAAOSwKDtkEKyf&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0J...

That's different from both of my S Pen, unfortunately.

Really hoping there is some software way to tell the pens apart rather than just cosmetic - they are supposed to have different features - or is it really just the tablets that are updated and not the pens ?

VerbumVeritum
Options
Tablets
I do not. It's an educated guess. Someone else might come along with a more definitive answer. What I can confidently say is that the low latency feature is an aspect of the screen itself, not the S Pen. I was trying to see if there was an actual difference between the two, but I don't believe there is. The (much) older S Pens have reduced pressure sensitivity and range, but that wouldn't be applicable to newer devices.
LongHiker
Options
Tablets

@madbrain I agree with @VerbumVeritum that probably the one with Samsung near the top is the newer one. 

The serial number and place of manufacturer is extremely light and hard to read. I have to shine a bright light at an angle on the S Pen to see that information. 

0 Likes
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Thanks ! I shone some light at both S Pens. It turns out they both have the Samsung logo and a place of manufacture as well, which I couldn't see with my naked eyes. I have macular degeneration and have a hard time with the lack of contrast. Anyway, one S Pen is made in Vietnam, while the other is made in China. So I thought the Vietnam pen had to be the one for the Tab S9 Ultra, since the tablet is made in Vietnam according to the box. Except I just looked at the box for the Tab S7+, and it is also says it's made in Vietnam ! Sigh. It's a bit odd to build the tablet in one place and the S Pen in another, and bundle the two.

Back to square one.

0 Likes
Solution
madbrain
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I finally figured it out. I put both tablets in sleep mode, by pressing the power button once on each.

I then took out the pen from my Tab S7+ case, and pressed its button. It woke up the Tab S9 Ultra screen ! I then took out the pen from the Tab S9 Ultra case, and pressed its button. It woke up the Tab S7+.

I now know which pen belongs to which tablet.