JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Clearing up storage space on my Tab A (2019) [SM-510]

(Topic created: 01-14-2023 10:23 AM)
MSLtechie
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I love this tablet, but I've used 30+ GB of the installed 32GB of space.  I reviewed the internal storage page under Settings, and it reports 23GB of 'Other' data.  Is there any way to find out what this data is, and if there is a way to remove it?  I don't store music, videos, or photos on this device.  I've tried to use some free utils from the Play Store but they don't give me much info.  I really don't want to 'root' it or mess with any utilities that deal with the O/S.  Thanks for any info.

6 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets
Do you use Telegram?
0 Likes
MSLtechie
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

No, never used Telegram.  Is that a file-manager-type app?

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets
No, it's like a chat app but it can take up tons of room. Many times that app is the answer to questions like this.
0 Likes
MSLtechie
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I really only use the tablet for reading newspapers and a Barnes and Noble NOOK app with magazines and books.   One file manager I read reported that the NOOK folder is only a few GB.  So no, I don't have telegram or other chat apps on the device.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

If something like a cleaner doesn't find what's taking up all the space, it may be time for a factory reset to start over fresh.

0 Likes
Solution
MSLtechie
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Thanks to everyone who responded.   I went ahead with the factory reset.  The system files came up identical - 7GB out of 32GB on the device.  After a reinstall of the apps and associated data, another 12GB came back from the cloud.  So...I have 20GB used and 12GB free out of 32GB, and we'll see how much is used up when I start downloaded some of my books and magazines.   I did learn that there is a permission I changed that allows a user to see how much space is used by each app.

0 Likes