Original topic:

Samsung DeX Issues on tablet

(Topic created: 01-02-2024 09:01 AM)
jRome741
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

First off, I appreciate all the work that is put into the DeX environment by the Samsung team(s). Introducing a new DeX mode is pretty nifty! 

That said, PLEASE don't ever remove the Classic mode, or at least the organisational features. I much prefer the sleek desktop icon feel offered by the classic mode over the tablet widget look of the "New" mode. I gave the New look a try, however there were a few things that disuaded me from it's continued use (some of which unfortunately bled over into the classic mode, which I'm really hoping can be fixed):

Wasted Screen Real Estate in New DeX Mode

There is a lot of wasted screen space in the new mode. I realise that quite a few folks use external screens for DeX, but not everyone does (I certainly don't). Even then, in mirror mode, the /same/ unusable space would be present, albeit presented on a larger area. Specifically in new mode, hiding the taskbar is a royal pain. Instead of having to double click to hide  the taskbar, why not automatically hide it? When full screening a window, it becomes overly-cumbersome having to double click the taskbar (which sometimes hides, and sometimes doesn't) just to acccess the content that lies under it. Furthermore, if you move the mouse just a litte, the taskbar reappears.

The same occurs at the top of the screen; there is a small upper margin (roughly the depth of the notch) where the date appears. I get that this is suppoosed to be a cross between tablet and desktop environment, but this is truly wasted space, if it's permanently up there. Can this not be included in the "pull down" notifications menu instead, or made to auto collapse after a certain amount of time? 

Additionally in full screen mode for a window, the rather wide window control bar (which is about twice the height of the system notification/date bar) is constantly present. Between the ever present taskbar and upper margin, we're looking about ~5x the height of the system notification/date bar in lost space. This unusable screen space invalidates the New DeX mode as a useful consideration for me. There are amazing pluses to the New mode, don't get me wrong, but considering that I use the S9 Ultra for it's large screen, it seems counterintuitive to create a desktop environment that doesn't maximise its use.

See screenshot for additional clarity

[SCREENSHOT] 02-Jan-2024 DeX New Wasted Space.jpg

Note, if this is truly the intended behaviour for the New look, then please please PLEASE I beg of you, don't remove the Classic DeX option!!

Dead Space on Classic DeX Mode

I think that this might have been some bleed over from introducing New DeX mode, since I didn't experience this before. When using /any/ app in full screen mode, the space that would have been occupied by the window control bar is effectively deadened. Even though the window control bar auto-hides, I am now unable to select any field that lies under that space. This is particularly frustrating when using websites that have search fields in that area, as I can't click there with my mouse cursor (see screenshot). If at all possible, please address this as it only started with the recent addition of the New Dex Mode (or at least that's when I noticed it.. I could be totally off base with that timing).

[SCREENSHOT] 02-Jan-2024 Control Bar DeX Classic.jpg[SCREENSHOT] 02-Jan-2024 Dead Area DeX Classic.jpg

Device

Samsung S9 Ultra

Android Version: 14

One UI Version: 6.0

17 Replies
jpesteban
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Regarding your second issue, Dead Space on Classix DeX Mode, I've posted about the same here. It's particularly annoying when using remote desktop apps like Parsec which are best used in fullscreen mode. Hoping the DeX developers can address this (and the other) issue we're experiencing!

jRome741
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

It's a defiinte annoyance. It seems like like I'm finding more ways that this becomes a hinderance, on a daily basis. I really love DeX mode, but the general screen real estate issues and frustrating bugs are really making me question the continued usefulness of the product. I'll continue to assume good intentions though; as someone that works in the technology field I can appreciate things slipping through the cracks. Hopefully there are enough folks raising/flagging/liking similar issues, such that the devs can prioritise a fix (fingers crossed it's a fix, and not a workaround)

jpesteban
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Hello developers and fellow Dex users (there are dozens of us!), it appears the latest OneUI update has broken the Samsung Dex UI in a subtle way. When using a remote desktop app on Samsung Dex in fullscreen mode, the entire top few ~20-30 or so pixels of the screen cannot be interacted with. This seems to be due to the entire top row of the screen being reserved for Samsung Dex's title-bar, which is normally hidden when using certain apps (like remote desktop apps) in fullscreen mode.

This bug was not present in older versions of OneUI. The bug makes it very difficult or impossible to interact with browser tabs or title-bar UI elements (such as the "close" or "minimize" buttons in Windows) when using remote desktop apps fullscreen in Dex.

This video showcases the problem succinctly: https://youtu.be/XZk13zOPLcI

This Reddit thread contains more information and users reporting the issue:https://www.reddit.com/r/SamsungDex/comments/18i7r2g/bug_galaxy_s23_ultra_rd_client_in_dex_mode_unab...

notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

yes, there are bugs in DeX since the last OS update. I've sent 2 error reports and am still waiting for a fix. I've figured out workarounds, but that should not be necessary. 

PKFiiiire
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I am experiencing the same issue using Microsoft RD Client.

PKFiiiire
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Samsung S22 Ultra

Android Version: 14

One UI Version: 6.0

Alquimis
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I am experiencing the Dead Space bug when I use Clip Studio Paint on fullscreen when on Classic DEX on my Tab S9 Ultra. Its making it impossible to work on it šŸ˜•

mvrsantiago
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I am experiencing this as well with the Tab S8 Ultra.

I personally hate the new Dex as the top borders, where the minimize and exit buttons are, take up too much space. However, when I use the classic mode, I no longer have access to all of the tabs at the top row of Clip Studio Paint when in fullscreen.

Home, File, Edit, Animation, Layer, Select, and all other tabs in that row.  

I can still use them in tab mode, but I much prefer Dex mode as it uses the entire screen (no bar with the time, notification icons, etc.).  I hope Samsung and Clip Studio Paint fix this bug.

0 Likes
Biscay
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I'm having THE EXACT same issue and I can't express how FRUSTRATED I am

0 Likes