JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

from Windows to phone

(Topic created: 11-18-2023 11:47 PM)
userDBSEE05e1f
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Since I cannot find anything remotely like my phone in your lists I selected this as a way to get started. Fell free to explain what is correct but don't get sidelined from the real topic.

I need to import documents to the phone (Samsung Galaxy A14 5G) from this Windows computer. Once on the phone, I need to open the document, copy its content, and paste that content into a text message.

via USB, I can copy a Windows Notepad file (name.txt) into the documents folder. I find that documents folder, on the phone, under Samsung\My Files. I can find the file and open it to read but I cannot figure out how to select the content or any part thereof. Is there a way to select, copy, and paste into a text message?

Is there a better way to transfer document content from a Windows10 computer to an outgoing text message on the phone?

I did note that there are a variety of document handling applications available from the Play Store. I don’t like the looks of any of them and I have zero interest in at least 99% of their functions. I am opposed to various aspects, such as they come with ads, my content may be considered the property of the application provider, there are privacy considerations over which I have no control, the content can be used to bombard me with “targeted” ads, I can’t delete the document once it is on the phone, or perhaps that means once it is in the clutches of the application company, and the applications have very large memory footprints to accommodate all the functions for which I have no need or interest.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userDBSEE05e1f
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I should have replied some time ago. Through trial and error I figured out how to transfer some writing from computer to phone, using Windows Notepad as carrier, and paste that writing into a text message. None of the several methods I read here or elsewhere worked quite as described for me but I eventually worked out a technique.

View solution in context

4 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets
You have to remember that SMS texting was developed to send short data bursts of 160 characters, which was expanded to more data points later with MMS to 1600 characters, so anything above that limit is best sent via email.

That said, larger data files can be easily sent via a Samsung Quick Link.

https://youtu.be/UXPwQ36fEnA?si=Eg1OcjvmNXlZrP2l
0 Likes
MaxusAxiom
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
These megabite updates (contractual updates) are extremely large consuming storage space and advancing the power to the data miners not considering the privacy of the consumer. I feel naked and raped by this TOP SECRET runaway infringements on our privacy in exchange for them to earn a stipend selling our personal info: it's sublimation of our rights as individuals and completely out of line.
There's something going on. They're in bondage and secretly selling our souls for their escape.
0 Likes
bill-e
Cosmic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Use My Files to open names.txt.  You will be presented with a dialog with a bunch of possible apps.  Click on Chrome

The contents of names text should open in Chrome

Press and Hold some part of the text until it gets highlighted and then drag the start and end markers to highlight what you want to copy

Select "copy" from the menu that appeared when you highlighted. 

In your SMS text entry box, press ctrl-v to paste the copied data. 

Like Windows, once you highlight something and there are various ways to do that depending on whether you are using your finger or a track pad or mouse, ctrl-c will copy and ctrl-v will paste

This is just one of many ways to copy that text. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV, Buds Pro
0 Likes
Solution
userDBSEE05e1f
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I should have replied some time ago. Through trial and error I figured out how to transfer some writing from computer to phone, using Windows Notepad as carrier, and paste that writing into a text message. None of the several methods I read here or elsewhere worked quite as described for me but I eventually worked out a technique.