JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Book Flex alpha S Pen support

(Topic created: 09-12-2020 12:26 PM)
user11wcRkF7ko
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I just got my Flex alpha 13 with the I 7. The screen is beautiful. Some reviews, and the user manual, seem to suggest that it supports the S Pen. 

Can anyone tell me if that is true?

If F, what pen should I get?

Thanks for any answers.

usercoxe3Qaxpx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Sadly, it seems that Samsung has an agenda to obfuscate the real story. However, your report doesn't quite make sense to me. The S-Pens are EMR, the surface pens are AES, two totally different technologies. If you are getting a response from the surface pen then it is probably Windows Ink via Bluetooth, coupled with a passive capacitive response from the touch screen, but I just don't see how you could be getting active pressure sensitivity, assuming the Alpha has an EMR digitizing panel like the Flex.
If you have a Galaxy Note S-Pen to try, in a recent drawing app, that would be the best test. If you're sure your Chromebook stylus is EMR and that doesn't work that's a bad sign.

user11wcRkF7ko
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I don't have a Note any more, I got a Pixel for my last replacement because it was a good deal. I think I will go back to the Note line for my next phone. We have a Samsung Chromebook which has a pen that looks exactly like my note pen. If I try to use it on this flex it does not work. If I work in Bamboo and use my finger, or one of those soft tipped passive "pens" there is no pressure sensitivity. Pressure does not make the line wider. If I use the Pac Doc pen, with the battery but NO BLUETOOTH, I do get pressure sensitivity. Very low pressure produces a very fine line. I certainly don't know if the effect is just the same as I would get with an S Pen device, but it certainly works. The pen works well in Microsoft Word for highlighting, erasing, sketching. In Windows Settings Devices I can set some pen options. Right now, I don't know what functionality I am missing out on by not paying $400 more for a Flex with the pen, but I seem to be able to do everything with a pen that I would expect to be able to do.

usercoxe3Qaxpx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

I believe you, but that is absolutely mind blowing. That would indicate the Alpha has an AES MPP digitizer, not EMR like the Flex, which doesn't make a lot of sense, especially considering Samsung owns 20% of WACOM. Looks like unless Samsung weighs in on this mystery, I'll have to wait for the Samsung Experience stores to reopen, or buy some other brand. I'm really losing respect here for Samsung as a company. Thanks much for the insights.

userIltmKidG4J
Astronaut
Options
Computers

This IS the answer, thanks.  I was really frustrated that it came with no S-pen and neither Wacom pen I had was recognized. I bought an "active pen" and it works fine via Windows support, including pressure sensitivity.  I really wish that had been clear when I bought the device as pen drawing was one of key criteria, but the pressure-sensitive active pen works, even if it requires a powered pen.  C'mon, Samsung, just make that clear up front!

Otherwise, I'm also happy - beautiful screen, lightweight, and fast enough for me.

Tothegalaxy
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Asteroid,

Can you send me a link to the pen that you bought? Please? I've checked on Amazon and no luck so far to one by pac dot. I have the Samsung Flex Alpha 13.3" QLED 512 GB; same as yours I believe. So I want to make sure I get the correct one. Thank you! My email is alyselaz@outlook.com.

0 Likes
userYpSkoiGOVD
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Does the Pen Support is added just in the core i 7 or it is added also in core i 5 model?

0 Likes
Samsung_sWG9Fso
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Hey

0 Likes
user3rpQWd2Prb
Constellation
Options
Computers

To me this is BAIT and Switch pure and simple. So sad to see such a reputable group like Samsung resort to tactics that make any reasonable person believe one thing and then in reality it is the opposite. This is a purposegfully misleading website for the Flex Alpha. The S Pen will only work as a pointer like your finger.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Computers

The Galaxy Book Flex supports the S Pen. The Flex Alpha and Flex Ion do not.

0 Likes
user11wcRkF7ko
Asteroid
Options
Computers

What am I missing? It seems that I can do a lot of things with the pen I have. Drawing, selecting, Photoshop selecting and brushes. Bamboo seems to function. What would the s pen do that I can't do now? It would have to be substantially more for me to justify another $400 or $500.

0 Likes