JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Vpn recommendation

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
userra
Comet
Options
Computers
Which vpn do you recommend for a computer, is it really necessary to have one on home wifi i read it is. Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Computers

The only reasons I can think of to have a VPN on your home network would be a) if you want to make sure no one can usurp your privacy/hack in, b) you want to get into some region locked content, or c) you want to go to a foreign website and get pricing in the local currency.  I use a VPN on my phone when I travel, because I was tired of only pulling up sites in the language where I currently was or only getting prices in Euros when I went to an airline site.  I also couldn't reach my pharmacy website while abroad without a VPN saying I was in the U.S.

View solution in context

18 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Computers
I have NordVPN in the rare case I need one. It works great. No bandwidth issues. I wouldn't say using a VPN is necessary.
userra
Comet
Options
Computers
Microsoft defender app with vpn is good but isn't offered on my OS. Nord would be my pick if i decide to. If only my Samsung a54 could be linked to my computer and then tether or share using Samsung flow or link to windows to share the built in vpn i am using by Samsung on my phone. If you link 2 devices and 1 isn't fully protected may be a concern but i have no idea. Thank you for your reply.
0 Likes
WesleyPipes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
I like Windscribe. You get 10gb a month free, but if you download more than that (like I do), then just set up another account using a different email address. I have 4 accounts, for instance. Works great, tons of options, and if you really want to use all of the things the app offers and get unlimited download, you can choose to upgrade and pay for the app. It's pretty cheap, too, if I remember correctly. $9 a month or $70 a year. I have found that the free basic plan with multiple accounts is sufficient for my needs.
userra
Comet
Options
Computers
I'm going to check out their browser extension. I never even visit websites all i do is read search results. I'm not sure if i need a vpn but a browser extension might be cool. Thanks for the info.
WesleyPipes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
No problem. I got into using a VPN because I got banned from Spectrum Internet for a year for downloading DRM protected movies and TV shows using Bittorrent. I changed internet service providers and started using Windscribe and haven't had a single problem since. Works great. Love it. I've never used their browser extension before, but if it's anything like the app or PC application, then you should be happy with it. It blocks 99% of those annoying pop-ups, too. Good luck.
0 Likes
userra
Comet
Options
Computers
Do you know if the setting in chrome browser for site settings protected content should not be allowed then to avoid drm issues?
0 Likes
WesleyPipes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
So I googled your question (so cliché, I know Lol), and this is the result I got.

"Chrome allows sites to use protected content identifiers by default, but you can block Chrome from sharing these identifiers. However, doing so may reduce the quality of content when playing music or movies on some sites. "

I have Windscribe on both my Samsung Galaxy phone and on my desktop computer, which is still running Windows 7. I connect my phone to my computer with a USB data cable and turn on USB tethering to allow internet access to my computer. I generally only turn on the VPN when I'm going to "The Pirate Bay" or a related website to search for torrents (movies, TV shows, music, etc) to download and while I'm using Bittorrent to download said files. Upon further looking, I do actually have the Windscribe extension installed and turned on (oops, I must have forgotten), and I have my protected content settings set to "allow sites to play protected content " and to allow "sites to use identifiers to play protected content " I haven't had any issues whatsoever with this particular choice of setup.

I hope that helps. Sorry it's so long, I can be a little long-winded at times. Good luck. 😉
userra
Comet
Options
Computers
That is interesting. I had windows 7 dual partitioned with xp a long limewire time ago. So many security questions I have about VPNs. I will get the book of cybersecurity for dummies, or I'll ask Gemini becauseGoogle tells me I must use a VPN for home wifi, and Gemini says I do not have to. Thank you for your help and your knowledge of networking. 🄯 My iphone keeps adding unknown wifis maybe i should use vpn on that for that issue. Okay thanks again.
WesleyPipes
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers
You're quite welcome. Anytime.
0 Likes