Original topic:

Factory Reset Benefit(s)

(Topic created: 6 hours ago)
userB3Ic4hRxuQ
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I've been having issues with BT and wifi. BT is incredibly unstable and wifi will not turn on. I'm positive it's related to the 6.1.1 update. Phone was not dropped and no new apps installed.

I've done all the troubleshooting steps except factory reset. Cleared cache, tried in safe mode, reset BT and wifi setting, etc. The final step is a factory reset.

In the case of a suspected software issue, can anyone tell me the exact benefit of doing a factory reset after all troubleshooting steps? Not general comments. Exact benefit. I've swapped many phones and know how to do a restore after a reset. It's just a pain. I don't want to do this simply because it's in a non-technical person's troubleshooting script if there is no clear expected benefit. Because to me, clearing cache and resetting the bt/wifi network settings did exactly what a factory reset will do.
7 Replies
meself
Neutron Star
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Just my opinion but a factory reset is for major issues which can help
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@userB3Ic4hRxuQ Doing a factory reset ensures that all corrupted or erroneous values are reset to known good values.  

0 Likes
userB3Ic4hRxuQ
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
That's kinda what I'm trying to get at. Resetting wifi and BT network settings should reset all values related to those areas to good values. Clearing cache can also take care of persistent bad settings. I just don't know what additional values relative to wifi and BT get reset to good with a factory reset.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@userB3Ic4hRxuQ Factory reset also removes any and all 3rd party code and settings. And initializes everything to factory values. 

0 Likes
kimberleigh
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Factory reset won't undo the update so if thats what caused it, you're wasting your time. Also, if you factory reset it, make sure your acct is backed up and you know your log ins
0 Likes
userB3Ic4hRxuQ
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I agree 100%, which is why I was trying to get very specific with the benefit. I've contacted Samsumg support 3 different times to ask if there is a known bug in 6.1 or 6.1.1 and they always respond with the troubleshooting script. They say run all the steps and if it doesn't work, take it to a repair center. But I'm positive it is a sw bug. If they'd just confirm that, I'd just wait for an update.
0 Likes
userB3Ic4hRxuQ
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Since I'm the non-believer, I will do it later today and post the outcome...😊
0 Likes