JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why Do Unlocked Phones Receive Updates After Carrier Branded Devices

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Mohican69
Galaxy
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Years ago it was preferable to buy a carrier unlocked device because you would get the software updates faster. This was because the software updates don't need to go through carrier validation for these devices since there is no proprietary carrier software installed on them. That's definitely not the case now however. My last 3 devices always received the software updates AFTER all the carrier variants were updated. Why is Samsung purposely delaying the release of software updates to carrier unlocked devices? This is especially frustrating since most of these devices are purchased directly from Samsung because we want a device free of the carrier bloatware that comes from purchasing a carrier branded device. 
9 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@Mohican69 Sorry but your assumption is incorrect. Updates for unlocked firmware and locked firmware goes to your carrier. Your carrier determines when to post the update to their update servers. 

Your phone reads the update server settings from your carrier's SIM card when the SIM card is inserted. It looks at that server for all updates. It does not depend on whether the phone is locked or unlocked. 

Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Bla bla. They both get the update the same day or one day after. From the samsung note 20 ultra 5g unlocked and carrier locked to the s24u unlocked and carrier locked.
0 Likes
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I save the website for all of my previous samsung phones just to see when they get the update. And I can prove it
0 Likes
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
How do phones without a SIM card get updates?
0 Likes
meself
Supernova
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Don't think they do get updates
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Yes, they do. I have a S23 Ultra and Note 20 Ultra that continue to get updates without a SIM card. That has been the case even when I had the Note 9.
0 Likes
meself
Supernova
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
Sure
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@Ekamek After you insert a SIM card, the upgrade server is read. You can then remove the SIM card and just use Wifi to get the update. 

0 Likes
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
My current S23 and Note never saw a SIM card at all yet continue to get firmware/security updates when released
0 Likes