JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Huge debug.log file

(Topic created: 02-12-2021 11:19 AM)
userG6Ltq6deUC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I came across a huge file under /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.samsung.oh/files/debug.log

it was 11.5 GB and had a current timestamp. I truncated it a day ago, but it has already grown to 806 MB and has a very recent timestamp.

I inspected the head and tail of the file.
The head is from 10 days ago, and shows I-level messages from PowerUsageHelper, and W-level from ProxyBase, mentioning applications that I don't even think I have installed. The tail is within minutes of current time, and shows mostly I-level from PowerUsageHelper; a couple of D-level from AppBatteryConsumption; and even one "I BatteryChangedReceiver Battery changed broadcast received" even though my phone does not have a removable battery.

On another discussion thread, somebody suggested that it was caused by settings of Developer options. I searched that and found one set under Screen Reader set to VERBOSE. I reset it to NONE, but that has not helped.

My Developer mode was not set on. I just enabled it, and the USB Debug was not enabled at all.

Any other suggestions?

7 Replies
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@userG6Ltq6deUC

I think you might have found the folder that Samsung members app is writing all the data to. Some people are reporting massive amounts of storage space being used in a short period of time.

I installed the members app a day or two ago and checked the storage usage. I found the folder you referenced it was empty. I uninstalled the Samsung members and it removed the folder. 

Very best regards, 

CLF 

T-mobile

Galaxy S9 SM-G960U 

G960USQS7CSK3

Security Patch Level

December 1st , 2019

user8NMaMEflnG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@CLF  

I found this same thing going on with my Note 8 today.  I uninstalled Samsung Memebers and got rid of this 24.0 GB log file.  What the heck, Samsung?!  Thanks CLF!!

CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, 

@user8NMaMEflnG

I install it once in a while to see if it's running the way it's supposed to. I clear the cache and data and uninstall it every time.

Thanks for the reply. It's good to hear that your storage usage is back to normal. 

Take care, 

CLF 

0 Likes
userG6Ltq6deUC
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This absolutely solved it.  When I uninstalled the Samsung Members App, the whole directory com.samsung.oh was deleted, along with the huge debug.log file.

I don't know how that Samsung Members App got installed.  I do not recall requesting it, and I am unsure of its purpose, other than perhaps selling new Samsung phones.

Thanks for help.

CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey,

@userG6Ltq6deUC

It's good to hear that you were able to to get your storage space back. I'm sure the Samsung developers have a patch for that by now. 

I think you might see some battery and memory usage improvements now that it's stopped writing data all day and night. 

Thanks again,

CLF 

0 Likes
user3yJMQ8gwAl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Even though I have samsung members I have never found such a file in my storage.

0 Likes
userngjzOLjjsL
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
where can I find this file?
0 Likes