JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No "Authorized" Technician in my State

(Topic created: 08-16-2023 12:34 AM)
CarrieAnnisAllAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
So I live in Alaska and the only 2 Best Buys, which are a 90 mile roundtrip, tell me they are not employing any Samsung Certified techs at this time and don't know when they will. After telling me LAST year they'd be there almost a year ago(Sept 2022). Meanwhile, my unlocked AT&T S20 FE 5G will no longer download updates(I've been unable to get any since exactly a year ago, when I paid off my phone and left AT&T) because it's got AT&T's OS bogging it down.... What are my options, as I'm uber concerned about the security of my device...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Solutions: Kindly attempt downloading SmartSwitch, then connect your phone to your computer and see if it prompts you to update. If there isn't a prompt, who is your carrier and what is your model number?
Odin is Samsung's official firmware flashing software. They have tons of guides and posts on XDA about this. I'm sure you will be able to find someone who will help you, or a guide already written. They also have the firmware. I'd check them out!
It was my pleasure to assist you, if even it was only to point you in the right direction. I'm confident you will be updated very soon! Say hi to Santa for us! 😅

View solution in context

11 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello! 🙂 So sorry to hear about your difficulties getting your device serviced by a Samsung authorized tech! Which updates were you looking for exactly? 

CarrieAnnisAllAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Thank you, the last security update I received was in June 22 and I'm still using Android 12. I've been getting my Google Play updates, just not receiving any firmware updates since I dropped AT&T last year and we've to a different network
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Kindly attempt downloading SmartSwitch, then connect your phone to your computer and see if it prompts you to update. If there isn't a prompt, who is your carrier and what is your model number?

CarrieAnnisAllAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
The model number is SM781UBZAATT, I Believe and my carrier is now GCI. But they've told me they don't do the FOTA updates. I'm not sure they understood what I was talking about, but I was advised to get the OS taken off this device
bozzb33
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Try connecting device to your PC the force the update. You should be able to obtain the latest updates through the carrier your sim card connects to on their website. Your other options is to go to sammobile.com and download latest update and manually install
CarrieAnnisAllAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I've tried going to sammobile to manually install and I can't find it. I'm no longer with the carrier that I was getting the updates through, AT&T, and my carrier does not provide the updates for their devices(not sure why or who does). My PC is no longer working, I Believe it's in need of a new battery. But thank you, I'll figure it out!
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones

XDA forums will be able to guide you about flashing the correct firmware via Odin. I wish you the best of luck!

CarrieAnnisAllAk
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
What is Odin?
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Odin is Samsung's official firmware flashing software. They have tons of guides and posts on XDA about this. I'm sure you will be able to find someone who will help you, or a guide already written. They also have the firmware. I'd check them out. 😄