JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Suggestion For New Feature

(Topic created: 01-05-2023 03:31 AM)
voxxian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
One thing I noticed as a long-time Samsung user, and a previous Apple user, is that when any user, Apple or Samsung or otherwise, sends a long text message to my Galaxy S22 Ultra, the only option you have to read it is by clicking the "view all" button.

Frankly, it's a bit of a hassle, especially if the user continues to send you long messages. Having to go in, and then back out, and in again, over and over, or even just having to do the work of clicking "view all" once when I should just be able to read them message from my text chat alone (or have the option to toggle "view all" on and off) is something I wish to have again.

Older Samsung Android models and UIs had no such "view all" feature, and you could read a long message freely within the chat room itself.

My suggestion isn't to take away "view all", but to add a feature to enable users to control their chat room experience further. Some of us may want the "view all" feature for Samsung SMS, some of us want to simply watch the message come in, as is, filling up our chat room so we can simply scroll down, the same way old Samsung models offered and how Apple and other phone companies offer today.

My solution? Add "toggle view all" feature within the settings of either general settings, or SMS settings.
12 Replies
EirianBryn
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I agree! I don't want to use verizon messages or switch to another messaging app just to get around this.
The_Lemon
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Agreed 👍
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@voxxian This is not normal and not an issue with the S22 Ultra. This is probably an issue with your carrier's APN. My wife has an S22 Ultra and has never experienced this issue. 

voxxian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Really? I have AT&T on my S22 Ultra, but I just switched over from Verizon (coming from the S21 Ultra) and I also had Sprint on my older Galaxy S10+. All three generations and all three carriers had the same "view all" feature when a long text is sent. You can preview it in chat, of course, but in order to read the entire thing, it must be clicked in to. If you don't mind be asking, what carrier does your wife have? My dad experiences the same thing, and he owns a basic S21, but Verizon instead.
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@voxxian We use AT&T. Which Messaging app are you using? 

0 Likes
voxxian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I'm using Samsung's default built-in text messaging app.
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@voxxian I believe the default messaging app on the S22 Ultra is Google messages. I use that and don't have this issue.

I'm wondering if you have some money saving feature enabled at the carrier or on your phone. So it only shows the first part of the message to save you the cost of downloading all the characters. 

0 Likes
voxxian
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
No, Samsung Messages comes with the phone. Google Messages is an extension of the default apps, but is routed in for Android specifically, not Samsung. Samsung phones use Samsung Messages as their main text messaging app since, well, it's Samsung. So, Google = Android, while Samsung = Samsung.

Anyway, I have unlimited everything, and have checked through all my power-saving settings. Everything is on high speed, no power-saving. I don't pay for text messages.

I truly believe this is the default for Samsung's settings, and something that needs an update to change.
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@voxxian Starting with the S22 series, Samsung chose Google messages as the default messaging app. To verify which you are using... 

If the messaging app you are using has the 3 dots in a voice bubble, you are using Samsung messaging. 

If the messaging app you are using has 2 overlaid blue voice bubbles, you are using the Google messaging app.  

0 Likes