Original topic:

Android 11 update issues with app folder layout

(Topic created: 02-16-2021 08:23 PM)
Kyte01
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello everyone,

First time poster to the forums as I am unable to locate any help with the issue I am facing. As of this morning 7:00am PST my phone updated to Android 11 and it said the update was successful. I haven't gone through all the options available as of yet.

However, when swiping down on the screen to check my notifications, if I tap on any one app whether it be a mobile game, social media, news or whatever, I'm immediately taken back to the lock screen of my phone. The selected app never opens and the notifications remain. Has anyone else been encountering this issue?

I've restarted the device a few times and disconnected from WiFi to see if there is any change. I don't necessarily want to reset the phone so I'm curious to know if there are any other steps that can be provided before I start the path of having to reset my phone.

Thanks!

146 Replies
Wreckoning90125
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

This is easily the worst UI decision I've ever seen made in a phone update. You do not move my icons. You do not make it so that I cannot move them back. I keep starting up the wrong apps. Humans are creatures of habit. 100% whoever proposed and didn't check this should not be working in UI.

user2d5EH4197q
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Just adding my concurrence. This was a terrible change and needs to go back to 4 wide ASAP. Iterations are supposed to enhance and improve, not detract and regress.

0 Likes
userz1s5NbKLJB
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Same issue here, just logged in for the first time in ages. I have really bad eyesight and the icons in their folders in the app screen are SO tiny now, and it's much harder to tap a specific folder with my giant hands than it was before the update. Really wish I hadn't updated 😕 the screen zoom option seems to affect everything but the app grid icon size. Really glad I have .2 cm extra padding between folders now though /s. And not an accessibility option in sight.

0 Likes
MJ99
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Just curious... I wonder if this is more of an Android problem and not just a Samsung problem. Does this problem exist on other Android phones (non-Samsung)?

Regardless, I understand they want to try to make improvements, but they should not take away the customization abilities which were already there. Just because you want to add some new things, doesn't mean you have to remove all the old stuff. Pretty sure these phones have plenty of memory to handle it.
Solution
zorvek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

It's fixed!

Download "Good Lock" from the Samsung Store and then, within that app, download the "Home Up" plugin. Where they come up with these silly useless names escapes me. The "Home Up" plugin was just updated a few hours ago and it works to change the folder grid and some other settings.

Why they don't just put this stuff in the normal One UI settings is, like the names of the apps and plugins, another question.

Hespy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Thanks for the update, but I'm waiting for Samsung to fix it without needing Good Lock.
Baltimore21250
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

@zorvek wrote:

It's fixed!

Download "Good Lock" from the Samsung Store and then, within that app, download the "Home Up" plugin. 

Thank you!!! Was having the same folder icon issue. Using Good Lock with Home Up plug-in solved the problem.

0 Likes
EquinsuOchaZeke
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you! You are amazing! 

0 Likes
userren8XLwqt8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Make sure you get the app from the Galaxy store NOT the one from the Google play store. 

0 Likes
KielAswel
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Perish the thought, but did someone have the bright idea to make actual, open folders match their thumbnails, shown on homescreens? Backward thinking, considering the purpose of thumbnails, but…
p.s. Same problem on S10, just upgraded to Android 11/One UI 3
0 Likes