Original topic:

My s21 FE at&t locked carrier still doesn't have one ui 6

(Topic created: 07-30-2024 05:43 AM)
abir_670
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
So basically i have a s21 fe SM-G990U2 and its at&t locked, but i don't know why i even put a it&e sim in it and now i can't even take ot out because there is a dent on where the sim try comes out so it's stuck but i was wondering is it because im using a sim from a different carrier that my phone isn't updating to the new ui model?
0 Likes
20 Replies
meself
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
The phone should be on ui 6 and android 14 clearing the phone cache may help
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@abir_670 If your phone has the AT&T splash screen at boot up, it has AT&T firmware on it. The only time your phone will find firmware updates is when it uses the AT&T update servers. If you have a different carrier's SIM card installed, your phone won't find any updates. 

If you have an old AT&T SIM card, even if it has no active service, you can install it into your phone. The phone will then read the AT&T update server location and you can use Wifi to check for updates. 

0 Likes
abir_670
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Wait so what would happen if i had no sim?
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@abir_670 If you phone has no SIM installed, it uses the information from the last SIM card which was installed. That includes the location of the update servers. 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

You cannot change carriers on a device without first having the device unlocked by the previous carrier.  You will have to have AT&T unlock it, then the new sim should work.  And, yes, if you are not with  your old carrier with a locked phone, you will not get the update.  Once the phone is unlocked, you should get the update from your new carrier.

As far as the dented SIM tray, is the tray bent, or is there a dent in the area where the tray would slide out?

0 Likes
abir_670
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Ah okay thank you, but yeah i can't take it out because the dent is where it would slide out so it just basically attaches the phone to the tray.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
So, get AT&T to unlock your phone, then the new sim should work. Try working the dent out with a small tool or see if a repair place can do it. If not, you will probably have to get a new phone.
0 Likes
abir_670
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Okay so the last time i request for an unlock on the unlock site for at&t it sent me a email saying i need to pay a bill but the thing is how is that
0 Likes
abir_670
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21
Okay so the last time i requested for an unlock on the AT&T site it sent me an email saying i need to pay a bill, but how is that because i got the phone from a provider on eBay. And the sim i got i just got the with like no actual internet if that makes sense, like you can just buy a sim from the store and it gives free data for 2 days and thats it unless you buy more data so i have but again the sim is from a provider called it&e. And about the tray, I've been working on it but right now its not working.
0 Likes