JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

RCS / chat in Samsung Messages - unlocked S21 in US

(Topic created: 04-15-2021 02:05 PM)
dirkpitt73
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I prefer Samsung Messages to Google Messages and would like to use the RCS / chat features in it.  I don't have the setting and have tried installing Carrier Services, enabling RCS in Google Messages (which works) and a couple of other things.  Is this something Samsung has to enable in an update?  Really want to get this working!

11 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
Your carrier has to enable it. It worked for me when I was with Sprint. I switched to Verizon and the company has yet to adopt RCS. Even though they said 2 years ago it would be available for all customers. not just the s9 or whatever.
KryptonianNote
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Same here. It's seems like this would be an easy fix and a big win for Verizon but here we are...
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Verizon has Message+ which offers the same features as RCS.  Since the app is free I don't know why they push it's use so much but it works fine.

@dirkpitt73  Did you try deleting the data and cache for Samsung Messages.  I remember it asking me if I wanted to enable enhanced messaging or some thing like that when I set it up.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
dirkpitt73
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try that again just now, forced stopped, deleted all data.  Launched and set as default, no option for RCS.  I think Samsung needs to push out an update that will enable chat on unlocked phones, that seems to be the issue.  Carrier phones seem to be able to enable it.  Very frustrating, in the meantime, using the (in some ways inferior) Google Messages w/ RCS.

dirkpitt73
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I'm on Google Fi, you'd think they'd have it.
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@dirkpitt73 

You should submit an error report in Samsung Members to log your complaint.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Hey @dirkpitt73 , I hope you're doing well.

As others have said in this thread, your carrier will need to enable this on there end in order for RCS to function in Samsung Messages. Carrier Services is the IMS app only for Google's Android Messages (to add RCS Chat in Android Messages if your carrier isn't enabling it already.)

If you're not getting RCS in Samsung Messages, contact Google FI and put in a ticket to request support. Otherwise you'll end up having to use Android Messages for RCS. (Which will soon be the standard either way.)

I know this doesn't help but I hope it clarifies.

Take care!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
JawshDarnit
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
It's NOT CARRIER enabled anymore. Seriously - Google and Samsung both talked about how they were working on bringing Google's jibe RCS functionality to Samsung messages app. This is about Samsung enabling it globally - the question is - why hasn't it been rolled out!?

image-2020-12-16-01-20-04_18104.png

image-2020-12-16-01-20-45_18102.png

Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Yeah, the whole approach from Samsungs end is totally odd and ineffective.

The roll out will eventually phase out the Samsung Messages app in favor for Google's Android Messages app. This is already happening in parts of the world on current Samsung devices. The version of Android Messages on these devices runs Android Messages in OneUI mode which consists of a OneUI theme, Galaxy Watch support (Call & text on other devices) and message pinning. Other features like scheduled messages are already present.

I was not in favor for this initially but this is the way (Mando voice.)

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.