JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 Ultra Main Camera Focus Issues Since May Release

(Topic created: 07-10-2021 01:44 PM)
userGoff
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Anyone else experiencing this issue, and anyone come across any solutions?

Since the May release I’ve found that my unlocked snapdragon S21 Ultra 512GB has been experiencing significant focus issues on the main camera. It almost behaves like it already has a focus lock on something, and no attempts to focus on alternate subjects has any effect.

If I switch to the Ultra-wide, the 3x tele, or the 10x tele, they all work exactly as expected and are in focus/can focus on other subjects with a tap. If I bring my hand up close to the lens and Focus Enhancer turns on (which I understand is just the phone switching to the ultra-wide), everything comes into focus, but then when I remove my hand it returns to the main camera and is out of focus.

Example of what I’m describing can be seen here

This has been happening on my phone since the May release, and so far I’ve had three releases since, none of which has seemed to improve this behavior. Currently running G998U1UEU4AUF5

Troubleshooting steps attempted thus far:

Usually when this happens, I’ve tried a handful of steps which inconsistently seem to help. The aforementioned step of holding my hand close to the lens so focus enhancer turns on and then pulling it away (so it switches back to the main camera) will often be enough for it to seemingly correct it’s focus lock and then the main camera will begin focusing properly again. This is what I attempt most of the time – and sometimes it works but not consistently.

I also force quit the camera app and clear the camera app’s cache. This has had inconsistent results as well. I’ve also tried wiping all data associated with the camera app – again with varied results in correcting the main camera focus issues. Most of the time I tend to just ‘miss the moment’ I was trying to capture, or if I’m really in a time crunch, find a way to make it work with either the ultra-wide or 3x lens.

Anyone else experiencing this issue with the main camera? Anyone have any more reliable steps for correcting the issue when it occurs?

5 Replies
Options
Galaxy S21
I think you have to wait new update for s21 phone we have same problem with s21 5g too
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S21
Same thing happened here, it's funny because they said the update was to enhance the camera not make it 💩
0 Likes
blitzcat
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

same issue here, from Indonesia, exynos unit. It happens almost every time, even after I fixed it by closing and opening camera app couple of times or 'clean' the lenses.

0 Likes
userGoff
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I've tried a few more things since my original post

• Clearing the phone's system cache
  • Booting the phone into Safe Mode
  • Full Factory Reset

Reallllllly wanted to avoid the last one, but felt like I had to rule it out at least. All unsuccessful - I've still yet to find any steps that reliably ensure the main camera will change its focus.

0 Likes
Solution
userGoff
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

For anyone out there who may be experiencing this issue

After the July (AUFD) release also failed to make any change, I connected with Samsung and they suggested it may be a hardware failure. Brought it in to the local repair center where it was covered under warranty, and they replaced the main (108MP) camera module.

Only had the phone back for a couple of hours since but happy to say so far it looks like it's fixed!

The Ultras are new enough that they should still be covered under warranty - if you're experiencing a similar issue, worth pursuing the hardware route!