JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S21 screen color looks washed out on "natural" mode

(Topic created: 01-30-2021 09:31 PM)
userfsdj34qJXF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got the new s21 5g and immediately I noticed that compared to my old s10e, the color looks very washed out on "natural" setting. The "vivid" setting on s21 is too much/saturated (same as the s10e on "vivid"), but on "natural", everything is like on a slight grey scale, maybe the gamma or color saturation is seriously off.

[update] added a photo for illustration. Note especially the Messages and Phone app icons, on s10e they are solid blue and green colors, on s21 they look blue-grey/green-grey. Both phones are on the "natural" mode, same brightness. Resized_20210131_122428.jpeg

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this, or if I got a defective device? Any official Samsung customer support wants to chime in as well?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
landale
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
That's not a defect or calibration bug, Samsung toned down color saturation on their Vivid mode with the S10 so any phone from then on won't look as saturated as on older Samsung phones. personally I still thing it looks way too saturated and makes everything look way off in photos.

View solution in context

17 Replies
userfsdj34qJXF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I meant desaturated and dull the "natural" setting looks compared to s10. There's no cloudiness or anything so fog was a bad description.
SlavicNikitenko
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
find this setting in display section.

Screenshot_20210131-022648_Settings_2004.jpg

0 Likes
user92XPApu9cW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

S21+ Natural sRGB Gamut.jpg

I took the time to measure it with a spectro as I really couldn't stand the washed out color. Look at how saturate the color is on Natural Mode. And how inaccurate the Green is.

S21+ Gamma2.jpg

Your screen looks 'washed out' because the gamma is not even correct! More like 2.0 instead of the standard 2.2

I demand a refund. How can Samsung make such a bad display. I paid all that extra just for a top notch screen!

And you guys can forget about using the Vivid Mode, way oversaturated your eyes will hurt. And the adjustments that you can use on Vivid Mode is only to adjust the white point, nothing else.

userfsdj34qJXF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you. Glad to see it's not just me. I wish there're advanced display options just any other device (laptop screen, TV, monitor).
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21

Repair options are available, however with the device being so new you may want to speak with eCommerce for possible exchange options if you ordered through samsung.com. eCommerce can be reached at 1-855-726-8721.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userfsdj34qJXF
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Ok. Thanks. I'll speak to eCommerce. Just wish there could be some quick firmware update to fix this, not looking forward to setting up the phone from scratch again..
landale
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I have the same issue here with my S21 and considering it's not just happening in that model but also the S21+ leads to believe this isn't something an exchange will fix and will require a software update. My S21 Ultra however doesn't have this issue though which I guess just means Samsung barely even paid attention to the less expensive S21's this year?
userndoG5wOCus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

It is happening with my S21 Ultra as well. Color saturation is weak and tones seem gray even on vivid.

Compared to my S8, it is really blah. 

Solution
landale
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
That's not a defect or calibration bug, Samsung toned down color saturation on their Vivid mode with the S10 so any phone from then on won't look as saturated as on older Samsung phones. personally I still thing it looks way too saturated and makes everything look way off in photos.