JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung really messed up pictures storage

(Topic created: 04-14-2023 05:13 PM)
v1234
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Got noitification that OneDrive is full (nevr really paid attention to it - never used it), removed pictures from it - surprise! - Samsung removed those pictures from local (phone storage) as well 😞

What a stupid idea to remove local files when I delete them from cloud!

Gotta reconcider next phone brand - can't trust Samsung anymore

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

If you use Google Photo's then just disable Gallery backup to OneDrive and restore any photo's you want on your device from Google. 

Google, in my opinion is not worth the free service because it changes the resolution of your photos.  One Drive or Amazon back up original resolution images.  OneDrive is $19.99/yr for 100g and includes Microsoft 365 Basic.   Amazon is unlimited of you have Prime

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor

View solution in context

10 Replies
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S21
Its called synced together, when removing from the cloud, disable auto sync
v1234
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I never enabled it explicitly - device did it on its own, or message about it was buried in unreadable fine print. This feature should be disabled by default. Who uses Samsung Gallery anyway? Ppl use google photo. And all of a sudden some never used application removes local files for no reason. That is bad design

ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S21
Mine was disabled by default, I just now enabled it today because I was gonna do the 1TB but decided not to
KayJayRealone
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Restore from trash?
TheRabbi
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Everything deleted should be in OneDrive Trash, and can be restored within 30 days.
0 Likes
v1234
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I have 5G storage on OneDrive, deleted pictures (combined) exceed 5G so OneDrive refuses to restore those unless I buy (subscribe) t o bigger storage (not for free, though). And as I said - I don't use neither Samsung Gallery, nor OneDrive, so app/cloud storage I don't use should not have control over my device content

0 Likes
Solution
bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21

If you use Google Photo's then just disable Gallery backup to OneDrive and restore any photo's you want on your device from Google. 

Google, in my opinion is not worth the free service because it changes the resolution of your photos.  One Drive or Amazon back up original resolution images.  OneDrive is $19.99/yr for 100g and includes Microsoft 365 Basic.   Amazon is unlimited of you have Prime

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
v1234
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Well, I neither sync with google either - I have dozen terabytes disks home - why do I need to pay anyone to save my pics in cloud? Phone has 128G storage, that's enough to collect pics for a week, and then dump those to local disk. don't see any value in cloud storage and pay for it. If I delete files in cloud I got at least get warning that local files will be deleted too. Samsung failed to provide that. Not even mentioning I don't want Gallery with OneDrive at all. Pictures I took  - should be in local device stotage, and stay there until I delete those explicitly. Period. Providers pushing customers to pay for not needed subscriptions - just crooks. 

bill-e
Options
Galaxy S21
Like I said, uncheck the "sync with Onedrive" setting and your photos will stay on your phone. 

I also have local storage and have apps to back my photos there as well.

As far as recovering your photos beyond the 5gig, you could subscribe to Onedrive for a month at $1.99 and recover the photos and then cancel it.

Bill
---