JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Seeking a Super Fast Travel Charger for the S21

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
toolworker
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm looking for a Super Fast travel charger for my and my wife's S21s.

Preferably it would have:

1. Three or preferably four ports
  2. Folding prongs
  3. Be small and lightweight (under 4 oz).
  4. Not just display Super Fast Charge but really do it - i.e., minutes to full for SFC is significantly lower than for Fast Charge.

If you have one like that which really works, please let me know.

10 Replies
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@toolworker Sorry but you won't be able to find anything like that under 4 oz. The Anker USB C Charger, 735 Charger is probably as close as you are going to get. 

Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I agree. I would look into the anker travel chargers. They have folding prongs,square fit instead of oblong and they quality but having a display idk your phone usually does that
0 Likes
toolworker
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for your replies.

I was hoping to hear from someone who actually owns a super fast charger that works on their S21.

I've tried two chargers - both great - except neither of them charge my S21 faster than Fast Charge even when Super Fast Charge is enabled. This Rocoren 45w charger has four ports, folds, weighs 3.55 oz., and says it supports PD 3.0 which Samsung says will do SFC. But it only puts out 16 watts on FC and SFC. This charger has the same problem. I've tried two S21s, and two USB C cables including the one included with the phone, with the phone charged to 30% - 40%.

@Dinop43 Sorry I was unclear about "display." With both these chargers the S21 displays "Super Fast Charging" on the lock screen. But the "m to full" is barely shorter than for Fast Charge, and a meter shows 15w - 16w on both FC and SFC.

@LongHikerThe Anker 735 looks good, although it's 4.9 oz, has only 3 ports, and isn't foldable. (I don't see any foldable Anker with more than 2 ports.) But if someone with an S21 tells me that it does SFC I'd buy it.

Any more advice or suggestions would be welcome.

0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
Ok, there's a lot to unpack about sfc. I had this problem before I did actual reasearch. First if a travel adapter that is 45w and has more than one port it will not sfc anything because the wattage is spread out between each port.e.g. the c to c port will usually charge at 15-25 watts and usb a will charge at 15 watts and the more ports you use that spreads out even more to achieve sfc you would need a travel adapter that pushes 25+ watts per port.im sure they make them but a 4 port will be expensive but i would still look at anker it the best alternative I've found for true samsung chargers. Secondly you might not know but the cable that comes with android phones are mostly 3 amp cables and to get true sfc you will need a cable that can deliver at the very least 5amp or pushes at least 100 watts.there is some math that goes with that but you can research amps x watts x volts. So I would start there and amazon has a cable I've been buying for over a year called ainope 100 watt or 240 watt anything over 100w is considered 5amp and they are very good all around cables durable and very cost-effective I've bought 4 6ft and 4 10 ft but make sure they are 100+watt or specifically 5+amp start there
0 Likes
toolworker
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks, @Dinop43 ! The Rocoren charger is rated 25w (9v 2.77A / 12v 2A) from the first USB C port if no other port is in use.

I checked and the sturdy braided cable I was using is only 3A. But it's charging at 9v so I'd think it could pass more than the 13 - 16w I'm seeing.

I'll try a higher capacity cable and report back.

BTW do you know how discharged the phone battery needs to be before it will take the full fast or super fast wattage?

Super Fast Charge 13ws.jpg

0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
The charger is really in your phone and it regulates the p.d. i.e travel charger so it will start at a low charge then jump up to close to max charging until temp comes up then regulates from there butit usually starts high charge when battery is below 20-30%.But just a ?.I have an s23fe not 21 i didnt pay enough attn i guess but does the s21 actually have super fast charging or just 25 watt fast charge. Just a ?
0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I have a meter but it's not that configuration. When you plug the meter into the travel charger first is it puting out more than 25watts?
0 Likes
toolworker
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21

@Dinop43  Starting with the S22, the base models support 25W charging; the plus and ultra do 45W.

The S21 has 25W Super Fast Charging  and 15W Fast Charging. This says it's doing SFC but the charge rate is the same as FC (red number), even though the charger and cable support 9v/2.77A and 12v/2.08A.

Super Fast Charge 13ws.jpg

Using a 100W cable didn't help.

Looking around, I learned that the 3A cables probably don't have an E-Marker chip, so the phone can't find out the cable capacity. 5A and up are supposed to have it; this 100W one does. So that's not the problem.

I'm trying all this with my S21 and my wife's, so it's not a defective phone.

I wonder if a T-Mobile store will have a Samsung brand charger that they'd let me try. 

0 Likes
Dinop43
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
Here's what I can figure.If you have a phone that will not accept more than 25w superfast charging it is not going to take more than 22-23w charger.If you have a phone that says it is 45watt superfast charging it will only charge at a small amount more than the 25 watt charger because anything over 18bwatts are considered super fast and actually there is not much difference in the time albeit the 45w will jump out of the gate with low battery faster but the 25w cathes up over a full charge so there is really just a couple min. difference in the speeds when you plug in your phone a charging ring is going to pop up turquoise if you are charging 45w it will pop up deep blue if its charging 25w and green if 15w or less. I am noticing in screenshot that you have the input of the meter in the phone that is telling you what the phone is accepting at that time and i notice that you are at 50% or more. The phone is going to charge only at what it is designed to accept ie 25w and 25 w charger is the max. output so your not going to see 25 w but very rarely more like 15-22 in up and down increases and decreases.if you wire the meter with input into travel charger then output through cable to phone you will see what the travel charger is delivering. But you could have a 500w charger but a 25w capible phone is only going to hover around 15-22 or 23w in using the meter, you will get more info if you start both phones from 0% charge on on 45w and one on 25w and you will see how the phone sometimes only accepts 8w then jumps to 22w and up and down throughtout the full charge.you will also notice there is really not a big difference in time.So if you want a charger that superfast charges both phones at the same time,the travel charger will have to deliver 25w or more per port, you'll still need just an ordinary 5amp cable and you will both charge same wattage same speed. So plug the meter into the carger first run cable from output to phone download an app called- ampere wich will let you see what the travel charger is puting out and the app will tell tou what the phone will accept and remember the color of the charging ring when it pops up if it doesn't show turquoise with 45w charger its not capible it will be deep blue i hope this explains what your searching for cause my fingers hurt lol! Hope it helps